• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What type of enclosure for an OBT?

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They are terrestrial. Although they do require a bit more height than your average Terrestrial. I keep my adult female in a 12x12x12 with 4" of sub, and a piece of cork to anchor webbing too.

Kurt Nelson

3 Year Member
I only had one obt, but recently got a freebie. Here is how my sling is housed.

Not the dirt was level about half way, it has dug his burrow out and webbed it up like this.

My freebie was big enough to put into this 32 oz deli cup

TJB13

3 Year Member
My OBT is kept terrestrial. First had it in a large arboreal tank which was a bad idea because it would just bolt faster than I could react. Moved it in the tub and is in the little plastic tank now. It has a nicely dirt filled web throughout with its own made tunnels. Really cool...very nervous opening the lid if I'm not in a tub.

Kurt Nelson

3 Year Member
Both of mine are quick to retreat to their webs when I open the container. The only tarantulas that are quick to run out of their homes are my A.Versicolor slings. I have to break their webs every time I open the pill vials. I'm not a fan of pill vials for arboreals. But they gotta live somewhere!

RobnBig

3 Year Member
How do you know when to give water dishes? I have a White Knee and a GBB sling that I put a top to a bottle of water in their enclosure and they seem to do fine. The White knee is probably a bit smaller than a quarter and he/she plays in the water. I'll find her laying in it or will throw dirt in it. The GBB is a bit bigger than a quarter and I dont ever see her near it. Also if the T is getting the food does the size of the enclosure matter? I understand up for aboreal and wide for terrestrial but does the actual size matter?

Mad cat lady

3 Year Member
They are terrestrial. Although they do require a bit more height than your average Terrestrial. I keep my adult female in a 12x12x12 with 4" of sub, and a piece of cork to anchor webbing too.
OBT are very adaptable with the enclosure they are given. they are prone to burrower so give it substrate to burrower but you can leave vertical space to allow to web up the top part as well.
Mine is in an exo terra with deep substrate and a nice exo terra skull, but spends most of her time in her log! She doesn't dig much but made a little hollow under the log :)

Kurt Nelson

3 Year Member
How do you know when to give water dishes? I have a White Knee and a GBB sling that I put a top to a bottle of water in their enclosure and they seem to do fine. The White knee is probably a bit smaller than a quarter and he/she plays in the water. I'll find her laying in it or will throw dirt in it. The GBB is a bit bigger than a quarter and I dont ever see her near it. Also if the T is getting the food does the size of the enclosure matter? I understand up for aboreal and wide for terrestrial but does the actual size matter?

Some people never give their T's water dishes, but this means they have to keep keep the humidity up and do a lot more watering. Personally, once a T gets bigger than an inch and I take it out of the pill vials and put them in 32 oz deli cups they all get water bowls. They aren't going to drown, they aren't stupid creatures. But if you're really worried about drowning, put some rocks in that you'd buy for decoration on the bottom of a fish tank. Hell if you're only getting a bit you could probably even get it for free.

Some if not all T's can even submerge themselves in water, their hairs keep bubbles of air which they can then use to breath with.

I couldn't find the other video with a Poeci submerged in water, but the principal is still the same.

And size of enclsoure does matter. Putting a sling into a 5 or 10 gallon tank is detrimental and in most cases will die. It's much harder to find food, and some say the stress can kill them. My slings, all of them from 1/8th of an inch to 1.5 inches all go in pill vials. From 1.5 to about 3.5 they are all in 32 oz deli cups. from 3.5 to about 6 they are in 2.5 gallon tanks if terrestrial, and if arboreal 5.5 gallon converted upright. Anything over 6 goes into a 10 gallon either upright or normal depending on the species. This is what I do, but that's just me. You can go the cheap rout and use shoe box enclosures, but it's all the same.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
This is our OBT's enclosure:
006.JPG

007.JPG

Sabeth

3 Year Member
That's the exact type of cage I use for my B. smithi! Great photo. I like the flowers you have in there...they make the OBT look angelic! :p:) Is he full grown?

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks, they used to look a lot more 'artistic', however Chaos had her own ideas for the flowers lol. Nope, she's still just under 3", but looking like she'll be moulting again soon :) Hoping to be able to confirm the sex with the next moult.

TJB13

3 Year Member
My obt molted a few days ago, molt was all messed up and I couldn't sex it. Same thing with my B smithi that molted the same week. Figured I could sex them from the exoskeleton no problem with all the great pictures and info on here. Mine just broke when I pulled them out.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ours shredded her last one...and used one of the legs as part of her dirt curtains for awhile lol

Latest posts