• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What to feed my new 3.5" Ba?

Kinnis

3 Year Member
Hey guys, just joined the forum and I have a concern you'd probably be able to help me with;

So I got my first tarantula last week, a Honduran Curlyhair, and I'm worried if the food I'm offering is just too small or if she's just not hungry.
Since I got her I've placed 2 small ~1" long banded crickets in with her. One is still there, although it tends to hide under her water dish, and I took the other out after a day of my curlyhair not paying it much attention.
I made her a tunnel to hide in with a log half, but she likes to just squeeze herself between the tank side and the outer side of the log instead. I don't see her moving from this spot much.

Would a curlyhair usually strike any feeders if they're hungry no matter the size of the insect? I'm not sure when the breeder last fed her before shipping; I'm also not sure her age, although she's around 3.5" wide. Also, at what rate should I feed a spider her size? A lot of the guides I read about feeding often don't specify the species/size they're writing about, so I get a lot of different answers from them.

Sam Sam

3 Year Member
I feed mine crickets that are around 3/4 the size of my T although I have seen them take on slightly bigger than themselves with little issue. Never come across anyone feeding their big T's 1" crickets though. Mine also tend to not bother with the smaller ones. I'm sure somebody on here will know why exactly as it's a brilliant forum. I have a few fussy eaters, Jaffro my curly being one. I power feed my slings every two days and my larger T's are fed around once a week, my B.Vagans (3.5" dls last molt) eats around 4 medium-large crickets a week. I find that each of my tarantula's is different-some will gorge themselves while others seem to be trying out the next new fad diet. I would suggest trial and error...you will grow with her and learn her signs for hunger, molt or other issues etc. I never let mine absolutely fill themselves (or I would never see them) and tend to try keep the abdomen around the same size as-just a bit bigger than the carapace. People will have their own opinion on that one. They do generally refuse food when a molt is just around the corner though so have you seen a web mat in her enclosure?

Last edited:

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
1" prey should be fine. Rule of thumb I use is feed prey the size of or smaller than her abdomen. They will go after smaller prey, they just need more. I feed my 4" A. chalcodes 1" roaches. 2 of them every other week.

My 2 curly hairs are great eaters. They only turn down food when going into premolt.

If you can get roaches try feeding them. Or super worms.

Pics of your T will help too.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If u just got it a week ago it might still be getting used to its new environment. give it some time. and take the cricket out if it doesnt eat it. :)

Latest posts