• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What to feed a 1 inch curly hair

Squeekee35

Just got a sling. Can I feed it half a meal worm or smallish crickets. The crickets I can get at the smallest is also about an inch but I know It's can take down pray of their size. What do you think

timc

3 Year Member
If the crickets you can get are roughly the same size as the spider i’d recommend prekilling them just to be on the safe side. But yeah it’ll eat them.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
As I raise dubias, for my smallest slings I take newborns and remove their heads. They'll keep moving for a while (helps trigger an attach) but will also die for later consumption if the sling doesn't want to eat right away.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just got a sling. Can I feed it half a meal worm or smallish crickets. The crickets I can get at the smallest is also about an inch but I know It's can take down pray of their size. What do you think
All the advice so far is spot on.

Speaking from many years experience and I use this a lot, I prefer the 'Jurassic Park' method. I will explain....Feeding the T-Rex a goat, Dr Alan Grant says....: T-Rex doesn't want to be fed. He wants to hunt. Can't just suppress 65 million years of gut instinct.

Point being, live prey and hunting is better then pre-killed or maimed prey.

Rule of thumb when I am feeding live prey is that it is usually no bigger than the size of the abdomen of the spider. As the spider grows, so does the size of the prey.

I also recommend that if you have lots of crickets left over that just die in the tub, get more spiders to eat them! Food bill is the same whether you have one or one hundred. LOL

Latest posts