• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What to do?

Wg25

3 Year Member
Hey guys
So yesterday I picked up my new adult female B.vagans right after she finished molting. I already set up her new enclosure and I'm super exited to get her rehoused. The one she is in now is horrible , some of my slings have more floorspace then this poor girl. She barely has any substrate in the enclosure....and most of it is full of this disgusting white mold that almost looks like white powder. And there must be 4 or 5 dead roaches also covered in mold. I'm dying to rehouse her but she is quite skittish and I'm scared if she flicks her urticating hairs she will damage her abdomen. You can see she is still a bit sensitive but I feel this enclosure is a death trap. To be honest.... The only reason I bought the LP is because he was also in a tiny enclosure filled with dead insect , mold and almost no substrate. But I'm glad to have this gorgeous species in my collection. He's a bit feisty but soo beautiful. Anyway....is there maybe a way to get her out of the enclosure without disturbing her to much? Or should I just take the chance and get her in her new home?

Wg25

3 Year Member
IMG-20151225-WA0012.jpg
IMG-20151225-WA0014.jpg

It looks awful

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Put her in a new enclosure. No, it is not possible to move a tarantula into a different enclosure without disturbing them. It's not going to stress the spider out to the point of killing it. They wouldn't be very adaptable organisms if stress killed them so easily. Keeping it in the current enclosure is definitely a bad idea. Understandable you don't want to bother it too much, that shows that you care for your animal's wwll-being, which is important. However you'd be doing her a lot of good by putting her in a better enclosure.

micheldied

3 Year Member
Don't worry, she won't damage her own abdomen trying to flick hairs. I'd just gently move her to the new enclosure. Just use something softer to prod her in if you want to be careful.

Wg25

3 Year Member
Put her in a new enclosure. No, it is not possible to move a tarantula into a different enclosure without disturbing them. It's not going to stress the spider out to the point of killing it. They wouldn't be very adaptable organisms if stress killed them so easily. Keeping it in the current enclosure is definitely a bad idea. Understandable you don't want to bother it too much, that shows that you care for your animal's wwll-being, which is important. However you'd be doing her a lot of good by putting her in a better enclosure.
I just Have this image in my head where she tries to flick hairs and rips open her soft abdomen! But thanks for the advice chubbs! Much appreciated :)

Wg25

3 Year Member
You said she just molted? You need to leave her be for at least a week, then rehousd her.
She molted 2 days ago scoolman. You think it's still to soon?? I'm just afraid the mold and dead insects will harm her. Her exoskeleton still looks a bit sensitive but you can she started getting darker colours?

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I just Have this image in my head where she tries to flick hairs and rips open her soft abdomen! But thanks for the advice chubbs! Much appreciated :)
That would be a pretty ineffective defense mechanism. [emoji14] you're welcome though. :)

Wg25

3 Year Member
I don't doubt you love your spiders but how could you let it get so dirty molt starts growing...
Yeah Tuskedwings! She has been with me for a fews days now. I'll will send you a photo of her new , clean enclosure as soon as she is rehoused. All my T enclosures all always super clean! So don't worry ;)
And I have atleast 4-5 T's in my collection that I only bought to save them from disgusting enclosures! But still love them all. They grow on me so quickly! Haha :)

Latest posts