• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What species is my leggy friend?

dianama

Hi, I'm a relatively new T hobbyist. I've owned one B. Hamorii for a very short time before it ended up dying. I was a mess afterwards and my boyfriend decided to surprise me with what he thought was another B. Hamorii. It's been a few months since then, it molted twice and it became clear (as you can see from the picture) it isn't one. It's about 1.5-2 years old and about 4.5 inches long. I say "about" because it's a bit skittish and I'm too much of a beginner to trust myself in handling it for measuring without hurting it, or having it hurt itself. Last time I tried, it got too scared - and even pooped on me - so I never did it again.
Opinions are split between G. Rosea and L parahybana. What do you think? It also likes to hang out on top of its hide spot a lot, could it be an arboreal species? I just don't want to treat it like a Hamorii when it isn't one, and I'd appreciate your help! Thanks.

IMG_1929.jpg
IMG_1928.jpg

dianama

Oh one quick thing- this species has urticating hairs that can cause nasty rashes, so be careful. Not as bad as theraphosa, but worse than brachypelma or aphonopelma. It will feel like fiberglass
Oh yes, I experience the hair every time I try handling it. I don't even see it kicking them at me but I leave with incredibly itchy hands and sneeze a lot every time. That was the first hint when it was just a sling- B. Hamorii doesn't have it that bad.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Oh yes, I experience the hair every time I try handling it. I don't even see it kicking them at me but I leave with incredibly itchy hands and sneeze a lot every time. That was the first hint when it was just a sling- B. Hamorii doesn't have it that bad.
B hamorii is just as bad if not a bigger hair kicker, IMO

Welcome to the forum/family

Tarantulafeets

This problem can easily be avoided by not handling the t. You won't have itchy hands, and the t will be less stressed. Win win :)

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Lasiodora difficilis, Lasiodora parahybana or even a Lasiodora klugi. All are really common (except the klugi) and in abundance in the hobby right now. I have all three and they all look the same at this stage. Unfortunately they are hard to tell difference between until they get much larger. You should be able to tell around 4.5- 5".

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
This problem can easily be avoided by not handling the t. You won't have itchy hands, and the t will be less stressed. Win win :)
With Lasiodora and other nasty species with bad urticating hairs you don't have to handle them to get haired. Just touching the outside of the enclosure can cause discomfort. Just simply dropping in prey can cause a irritation. I also notice hairs all over the shelving the enclosures sit upon. Ive even broke out on my feet wearing flip flops in the spider room. I definitely wasn't handling with my feet. :D

dianama

Yep, that’s why I stopped handling it and only do so when absolutely necessary for a few seconds (i.e. getting dead cricket remains out of the enclosure or what not). I’ve had difficulty sexing it for that reason.

dianama

With Lasiodora and other nasty species with bad urticating hairs you don't have to handle them to get haired. Just touching the outside of the enclosure can cause discomfort. Just simply dropping in prey can cause a irritation. I also notice hairs all over the shelving the enclosures sit upon. Ive even broke out on my feet wearing flip flops in the spider room. I definitely wasn't handling with my feet. :D
Whenever I change its water dish I itch all over! Hands, arms, neck, face, literally anywhere my skin is exposed floof is worth it though

dianama

Lasiodora difficilis, Lasiodora parahybana or even a Lasiodora klugi. All are really common (except the klugi) and in abundance in the hobby right now. I have all three and they all look the same at this stage. Unfortunately they are hard to tell difference between until they get much larger. You should be able to tell around 4.5- 5".
It’s that size right now! Most people are telling me it’s Parahybana. I’m barely familiar with the varieties so I’m just gonna go with the experts opinion I guess

JACEY

Have to be harrier to be Curly Hair. Beautiful. Another option, search Google images for brown tarantula species. Good luck!

Attachments

• 20210516_122300.jpg
    20210516_122300.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 6

Latest posts