• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What species could this spider be?

Marija

3 Year Member
So yesterday night I found this cool looking spider on the wall. Completely black with a cool looking pattern on the abdomen. It's about an inch big. I tried giving him a baby dubia but it wouldn't eat.
If any of you guys had a clue of the species this spider is I would be most thankful since I'm thinking of keeping it lol. :D

16908355_1860167827593631_5321128170919821312_n.jpg

LC72uk

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Which species did you keep? I wouldn't dare to keep any of the venomous snakes cause I would probably get bit. I stick my hands into everything and I'm too confident most of the times. :D
Mostly Cobra`s and a few Rattler species, I trained for 4 years, In the UK you need a D.W.A (Dangerous Wild Animal License) and I used to take in Reptiles that had been confiscated from people who obtained them illegally , had many different species pass through over the years, Copper Heads, Death Adders, Eastern and Western Diamondbacks , Coral snakes, Too many to remember, but Elapids were my Favourite sp of Venomous Snake.
The only 2 sp of Venomous snakes that I would not deal with were Spitting Cobras and Black Mambas.

Marija

3 Year Member
Mostly Cobra`s and a few Rattler species, I trained for 4 years, In the UK you need a D.W.A (Dangerous Wild Animal License) and I used to take in Reptiles that had been confiscated from people who obtained them illegally , had many different species pass through over the years, Copper Heads, Death Adders, Eastern and Western Diamondbacks , Coral snakes, Too many to remember, but Elapids were my Favourite sp of Venomous Snake.
The only 2 sp of Venomous snakes that I would not deal with were Spitting Cobras and Black Mambas.
Awesome. You got my respect! Absolutely love snakes and venom is an interest of mine but I would never dare... I was thinking of getting a black widow but I'm scared I'd get tagged lol.

LC72uk

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Awesome. You got my respect! Absolutely love snakes and venom is an interest of mine but I would never dare... I was thinking of getting a black widow but I'm scared I'd get tagged lol.
You gotta be on the ball, when dealing with these creatures, I had to have someone with me when doing maintenance in the vivs, just incase I was ever tagged, had a few close calls, but that comes with the Territory !, be one step ahead of the Snake, you learn when and when not to go into the viv by the Snakes behaviour, Rattlers will strike and bite without hesitation , where as I found Cobras will often give a bluff strike and a dry bite if you`re lucky !lol.

Marija

3 Year Member
You gotta be on the ball, when dealing with these creatures, I had to have someone with me when doing maintenance in the vivs, just incase I was ever tagged, had a few close calls, but that comes with the Territory !, be one step ahead of the Snake, you learn when and when not to go into the viv by the Snakes behaviour, Rattlers will strike and bite without hesitation , where as I found Cobras will often give a bluff strike and a dry bite if you`re lucky !lol.
Damn, definitely not a hobby for me. I'll stick to non venomous snakes when I finally get one :D
People around me are highly afraid of snakes, so I wouldn't have anyone to help me with maintenance.

LC72uk

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Damn, definitely not a hobby for me. I'll stick to non venomous snakes when I finally get one :D
People around me are highly afraid of snakes, so I wouldn't have anyone to help me with maintenance.
There`s some nice sp of Vipers in Croatia , I had one , Vipera ammodytes , not very big but highly aggressive.:D

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I love the ratsnakes and blind snakes, gartner snakes and even the very rare blue indigo I find in my yard. I don't mess with anything dangerous. Ain't worth the risk. Rattlers are not popular here at all..they're one of the few things I don't allow to live on my property. If you've ever watched your buddy cry like a baby as his dog stiffened up and died, you'd understand. Or seen the medical bills from bites on horses and cattle. Or worried everytime you had too much rain for too long and the grass was too high..I killed thirteen of them one year. I know it was thirteen because my father used to make guitars, and when he finished one, he'd throw a rattle in it that I had cut off one of the little bastards. Thirteen guitars with rattles made in 2009:) Cats do a fine job of killing them. I rarely see them anymore. Food chain and all that ;) It's a bit different when they're right outside your door.

Marija

3 Year Member
There`s some nice sp of Vipers in Croatia , I had one , Vipera ammodytes , not very big but highly aggressive.:D
Oh yeah, Vipera ammodytes is the most dangerous, most venomous one we have, we call it "Poskok". Never seen one in person, but I have come across Common Adder, called "Riđovka" in Croatian, numerous times. Mostly when I visit relatives that live near a forrest and always find myself yelling "don't kill it" lol

LC72uk

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I love the ratsnakes and blind snakes, gartner snakes and even the very rare blue indigo I find in my yard. I don't mess with anything dangerous. Ain't worth the risk. Rattlers are not popular here at all..they're one of the few things I don't allow to live on my property. If you've ever watched your buddy cry like a baby as his dog stiffened up and died, you'd understand. Or seen the medical bills from bites on horses and cattle. Or worried everytime you had too much rain for too long and the grass was too high..I killed thirteen of them one year. I know it was thirteen because my father used to make guitars, and when he finished one, he'd throw a rattle in it that I had cut off one of the little bastards. Thirteen guitars with rattles made in 2009:) Cats do a fine job of killing them. I rarely see them anymore. Food chain and all that ;) It's a bit different when they're right outside your door.
I totally understand, they are seen as a pest in the States, but some of the sp of Rattler`s have now learnt not use their Rattles .
With the Medical Bills as well in the US It`s not cheap, there was a Teenager some years back that thought he would show off to he`s Mates by putting a Rattler in he`s mouth, it bit him on the tongue, the medical Bills were over $700,000, costly mistake to make.

Marija

3 Year Member
Luckily, having dogs I've never found a venomous snake in my yard. Maybe a Natrix natrix sometimes and I've kept one as a pet when I was I thin k 13, maybe younger.

LC72uk

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Oh yeah, Vipera ammodytes is the most dangerous, most venomous one we have, we call it "Poskok". Never seen one in person, but I have come across Common Adder, called "Riđovka" in Croatian, numerous times. Mostly when I visit relatives that live near a forrest and always find myself yelling "don't kill it" lol
They are very secretive little snakes also protected by law, but Boy do they pack a punch!:D

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I totally understand, they are seen as a pest in the States, but some of the sp of Rattler`s have now learnt not use their Rattles .
With the Medical Bills as well in the US It`s not cheap, there was a Teenager some years back that thought he would show off to he`s Mates by putting a Rattler in he`s mouth, it bit him on the tongue, the medical Bills were over $700,000, costly mistake to make.
Yep. I know a trooper that got bit in the leg, by the time he drove himself to the ER he was crying in pain. He said it was the worst thing he's ever experienced in his life, his leg looked freakin horrible. They ain't no joke.

Latest posts