• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What should I do!?!

Dubztarantula

So I bought a new Pink Toe Tarantula from petsmart. I'm not sure how far along the egg sac is, but it's super white n silky looking and the spider is very protective of the sac. My question is, should I let mom do her job, or should I take the sac out and incubate it myself and just rehome the spider? It's the new cage I made for her before I bought her. So Idk what to do.. I do want to raise them and grow them up. But I just not sure what's the best way.. any help is appreciated and any sight is helpful

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Pink toe is a generic name given to Avicularia species so it could be a number of different things. It’s not a problem for now but if the sac is successful and you don’t want to raise 100s of slings a seller would like to know. Do you have pics?

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
If it's a viable sack (not a phantom) you want to pull it from the mom at 30 days. Leaving them with the mom is kinda a irresponsible thing to do. You'll have many die doing this...mom stomps on a few not to mention cannibalism. They should be incubated until they hit 2nd instar. At this time they need their own enclosures....probably 120-150 usually. Are you sure your ready for this...theres alot more to it then what i shortly stated?

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
So I bought a new Pink Toe Tarantula from petsmart. I'm not sure how far along the egg sac is, but it's super white n silky looking and the spider is very protective of the sac. My question is, should I let mom do her job, or should I take the sac out and incubate it myself and just rehome the spider? It's the new cage I made for her before I bought her. So Idk what to do.. I do want to raise them and grow them up. But I just not sure what's the best way.. any help is appreciated and any sight is helpful
If you have not done this before, I would leave it with the mother. Don’t take it the wrong way. In nature no one pulls the cocoon from the mother. On the other hand if you know what to do, go with @Arachnoclown ’s advise. He knows best... :)

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Lots of info on the interwebs about how to do this... read up and see if it's for you

Dubztarantula

Thank you everyone for all the info and different points of view, and yes this is my 1st time. So I was thinking of leaving it with mom, but if I do that then I'll never have a chance rly to learn how to do the incubation on my own. So I'm thinking ima take it away, I do have some enclosures to house the slings in, and I wasnt tryna keep them all. I wanted to maybe trade around a couple of em, and try and sell off a couple dozen if I can to help with some of the financial side of things. I'm just wanting to make sure i do the incubation process correct and not completely have a 100% death rate compared to letting mom do it n end up with a 60% death rate. Which is still better then the 100%

Latest posts