• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

NotArachnophobic

so im new to tarantula keeping and i have some experience and think im ready for my first OW t. ive been considering an M. Balfouri, a C. Darlingi, and a Marshalli. but i cant decide on which one is better for me. i adore the balfouris colors but it seems less relaxed than the darlingi or marshalli. can someone help me? i dont know.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I keep several old worlds, but neither of the other two species that you mentioned.

Temperament is subjective and individual. I have a few balfouri females with very different personalities ranging from skittish and defensive to completely relaxed.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'll be honest any of the Ceratogyrus genus are lovely Ts and none of mine have ever given me any trouble.

Tarantulafeets

All 3 of your choices are great but I have to go with C marshalli because mines a sweetheart.
P1080439-01.jpeg

Some other options:
O philippinus
Psalmopeous genus (not OW)
H gigas

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Suggestion: Hysterocrates gigas "Cameroon red baboon"
They're diggers and swimmers. Burrows deep but you can always get them to come out and feed. Not aggressive or skittish. Mine have always been pretty confident and not afraid to be seen.
20190101_203609.jpg
20190120_131149.jpg
20190120_140311.jpg
20190618_164537.jpg
20191019_130801.jpg
20191219_185422.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Spots

Suggestion: Hysterocrates gigas "Cameroon red baboon"
They're diggers and swimmers. Burrows deep but you can always get them to come out and feed. Not aggressive or skittish. Mine have always been pretty confident and not afraid to be seen.View attachment 62929View attachment 62930View attachment 62931View attachment 62932View attachment 62933View attachment 62934
Nice!
Is this that one species of T that it's really difficult to find males? (I forget which T it was I read online)

NotArachnophobic

i don't want an obt right now because they are VERY defensive. gigas looks nice but im not too sure because of the bite reports that ive seen. but i think ill stick to marshalli for now

Gizalba

3 Year Member
My first old world T. was the C. darlingi :) Mine is now a sub-adult female I think and I've had no problems with her. Most of my other old world Ts are slings and juveniles, so not sure if they will change with age but so far I've only had 2 threat poses from them, both when I tried to feed them a worm :p I just make sure especially with the ones with webbing potentially stuck to the lid that I remove the lid very slowly and carefully to feed/water.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I honestly stressed over my first OW, I chose Harpactira pulchripes, but in all reality, an OW is no more challenging to keep than any other tarantula.

Be respectful, cautious and premeditated in you actions and a interactions with all "wild" animals and you'll be fine.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
i don't want an obt right now because they are VERY defensive. gigas looks nice but im not too sure because of the bite reports that ive seen. but i think ill stick to marshalli for now

My very first T was an OBT and I never had a problem with her and the juvi I have now I'd call cheeky rather than defensive, they'll run rather than stand and fight.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My very first T was an OBT and I never had a problem with her and the juvi I have now I'd call cheeky rather than defensive, they'll run rather than stand and fight.
Having pulled sacs from both Psalmopeus and Pterinochilus I can say both species were equally protective. I'm my experience, under normal circumstances most OBTs are more inclined to retreat than threaten. My largest female, however, has no chill and threatens first.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Having pulled sacs from both Psalmopeus and Pterinochilus I can say both species were equally protective. I'm my experience, under normal circumstances most OBTs are more inclined to retreat than threaten. My largest female, however, has no chill and threatens first.

I must have been lucky with mine then.

Jeef

I have a C. darlingi that I got as a freebie. I was terrified of it at first simply because it was an old world.

Then I found out why they call them pet holes. They are spectacular when they come out. Mine never gave me a single ounce of trouble.

Latest posts