• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What sex is my M Balfouri

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I reckon male. Anyone else have any other suggestions or can confirm?
@Thistles and @CaseyK, .....dont let me down...lol
20160812_115825.jpg

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Difficult from the shot but by looking at the shape of the furrow and book lung spacing I would say female.....but I'm entitled to be wrong, lol.....if you could get a shot looking up into the "exuvium" area that would be best.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
There appears to be a small dark triangle patch above the exuvium....can't rule that out as E.F. but usually this patch is more "distinct" in males. There's a blend of other setae that makes me think otherwise. I'm not very good with sexing baboons. Some can be difficult. Perhaps my friend @Austin S. can help out on this one. He is much better at sexing the baboons than I.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There appears to be a small dark triangle patch above the exuvium....can't rule that out as E.F. but usually this patch is more "distinct" in males. There's a blend of other setae that makes me think otherwise. I'm not very good with sexing baboons. Some can be difficult. Perhaps my friend @Austin S. can help out on this one. He is much better at sexing the baboons than I.
Thanks for trying hun. Really dark and vivid colours atm as only moulted a couple of weeks ago. Looks stunning whatever he/she end up being. Is it true that all the males of these get the dryer blue carapace with the females being more aqua in colour. This seems to be the case with all the breeding photos I have seen.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Looks female to me, but not 100% sure.

I'd need a better, more clear photo to better determine.
Like:
tuLSFJcl.jpg

I need more clarity
Thank yu for looking. I will try and get another. Usually spends all its time buried though. A female would be awesome as I had resigned myself to it being male ......a feeling more than a scientific conclusion. From your experience, is the blue carapace usually a give away on the balfouri males too? See post above to Casey. Thanks again. Much appreciated.

Austin S.

3 Year Member
Thank yu for looking. I will try and get another. Usually spends all its time buried though. A female would be awesome as I had resigned myself to it being male ......a feeling more than a scientific conclusion. From your experience, is the blue carapace usually a give away on the balfouri males too? See post above to Casey. Thanks again. Much appreciated.

Males carapace are capable of changing color into a more royal blue yes, but only when they mature.
Carapace color on a smaller male, is useless:
Subadult male:
q82ZvjMl.jpg

Same male, once matured:
kMQ8w4jl.jpg

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Males carapace are capable of changing color into a more royal blue yes, but only when they mature.
Carapace color on a smaller male, is useless:
Subadult male:
q82ZvjMl.jpg

Same male, once matured:
kMQ8w4jl.jpg
Thank you. At least I know to keep an eye out for that colour in a year or so. The spider is approx 15 months old now. Thanks again, really useful info.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Very helpful thread. As Austin previously stated, the color of the male carapace as opposed to females is pretty much the same up until the male matures. Thanks @Austin, for your input! :)

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It appears the light is facing the dorsal view of the tarantula. The light needs to be facing the underside or the picture needs to be taken with a flash......no wait....probably just the light reflecting through the setae on the abdomen. The lighting around the exuvium is more important. If you can get more lighting there, we can tell.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I did try to get an upward shot. Flash keeps bouncing off the glass......soooo frustrating....lol. Seems like I have a small window of opportunity be for he/she buries itself for a few more months never to be seen again. Will keep trying.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Darn my phone is loading these photos slowly. Ugh....second pic is just now loading.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Ok....in that second pic (upward shot) it appears male to me.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ok....in that second pic (upward shot) it appears male to me.
Boo......there was me thinking all my suspicions were wrong and I had lucked out with a female. Oh well. It will probably be what I thought it was and I have 4 more on order anyway.....lol

Latest posts