• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What next?

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I really shouldn't but I had to buy myself a new shelving unit as I had run out of space and now I face a new problem, I have more space.
I have an order on the way from spidershop so I can rehouse my versi's but i can't help but look at everything to see whT tickles my fancy.

Other than 2 slings I don't have any old worlds and I'm kinda hesitant to get any but I'm thinking about getting a pokie (or 2 )but I don't know what one (or 2)

Suggestions? I don't fancy anything too aggressive(defensive) right now but I'm sure I could be about to find out about some new wonders in the hobby :).

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'd recommend a P metallica as a fairly calm Pokie and a Psalmopoeus pulcher or cambridgei much more visible than the irminia and both NW arboreals.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'd recommend a P metallica as a fairly calm Pokie and a Psalmopoeus pulcher or cambridgei much more visible than the irminia and both NW arboreals.

I was thinking Metallica but I also really liked the look of the striata and regalis

Irminia is pretty but just been watching a video of husbandry and I guess you might aswell not have 1 lol.

What are your thoughts on pamphobeteus genus? I watch all of tom morans videos and I know they're one of his favourites. Maybe I need to do some more digging around ☺️

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I was thinking Metallica but I also really liked the look of the striata and regalis

Irminia is pretty but just been watching a video of husbandry and I guess you might aswell not have 1 lol.

What are your thoughts on pamphobeteus genus? I watch all of tom morans videos and I know they're one of his favourites. Maybe I need to do some more digging around ☺️

The only Pamphobeteus I have is an sp. machala at about 1.5" dls. It can be quick but doesn't hide away even when disturbed and has a great appetite, definitely one of my favourites.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So just placed an order and took your advice enn. Purchased 2 P Metallica slings (3.5cm dls). But I'll be rehousing 3 C versicolors. So I also ordered a P Rufilata so I didn't have an empty one. Then I saw they had P Cambridgei at a decent price so got one of them aswell.

About to place it and I noticed they also have G Actaeon slings grown on and I don't have one so yea....... ended up buying 5 but that's ok I guess

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

P striata was my first pokie!! They are good looking, even the males. The females of course are spectacular.

My first OW was M balfouri. H pulchripes is also a good first one. Arboreal ones can be a little bit more tricky and if you're tagged, pokie venom is worse then that from baboon species...which are still pretty painful.

Still, here's my male P striata.

P striata Patrick shrooms 3.jpg
P Striata Patrick being awesome 2.jpg
P striata Patrick just molted 11.jpg

Here's H pulchripes by way of comparison.

H pulchripes Hybris adapting 2.jpg
H pulchripes Hybris rehouse 4.jpg
H pulchripes Hybris cage care 1.jpg

Still, P striata is an excellent choice for ones first OW arboreal.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I was aware pokie venom is nasty but I use tongs even on my teeny slings. Guess I'm trying to stop myself from getting complacent. As long as I keep that mindset and provide an enclosure they like I shouldn't have any of them bolt at me or try escape lol

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So I was hoping my delivery would turn up today from spiderswolrd but it didn't so I looked on their website and due to cold weather they aren't posting. Which is good for the spiders but not good for my impatience lol

Avic

So I was hoping my delivery would turn up today from spiderswolrd but it didn't so I looked on their website and due to cold weather they aren't posting. Which is good for the spiders but not good for my impatience lol

Lol, I hate waiting for T's to arrive as well lol.
I'm like a 40 odd year old kid in a sweet shop when I'm T shopping, lol

Last edited:

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I was premature. Normally spidersworld deliveries come on Friday. It arrived today but that got me worried because it was cold

The package itself was very cold. Heat pack has gone cold but it does take a while to get here from Poland which is unfortunate.

First spider out was G Actaeon. Was cold and very sluggish but alive

P Cambridgei next and unfortunately DOA which now meant I feared the worst for the next 3.

P rufilata wasn't moving so wasn't sure. Took all precautions still just incase and lucky I did as it didn't like being in the tissue

IMG_3923.JPG

This is the first one I put in an enclosure so I'm counting this lil dude as my first ever pokie

Metallicas next up and these were the 2 I wanted the most so was a lil nervous. Really shouldn't have been. Alive and well. Housing was smoother than I was expecting but once the lid was on and I put it on the shelf it got spooked and I'm glad I saw it then how fast these are.

IMG_3921.JPG

The guy in the one above wasn't every sure footed so I'm not sure if it's in premolt or if it was just dazed from the delivery.

All in all I'm glad I got these and now the collection is getting to a point I really should stop (for now)

I get excited at adding new species and I see space and think fill it . Once these all grow and need to be rehoused I'm going to be very limited on space
IMG_3920.JPG

Even though the Cambridgei was doa which is a bummer, I was fortunate enough to receive one recently in a mystery box. I don't know the procedure as I've never had a dead arrival but Im putting it down to "one of those things" as all the others were fine ,if not abit chilly. Not spiderworlds mistake so I won't worry about getting another one off them. Just unfortunate I guess.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm glad to hear they arrived but sorry about the doa.
The normal procedure is to let the seller know as soon as possible with a photo as proof. Normally deliveries by post from Poland take 5 days but I've had them take as long as 10, the hold up is usually at UK customs.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I did take a picture for proof and I'll probably email and let them know but I'm not wanting them to immediately send me a replacement. It was no fault of theirs. Maybe when I next order I'll get one. Or if they aren't available something else but it's not an issue to me.

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
With DOA I always take a picture of the animal with the container it came in. Usually I'll place it upside down for a picture so there's no doubt that it's dead. Then I'll email asap and let the sender know. You may feel that it's not their fault but it's not your fault either, for them it's just part of doing business. It's also their responsibility to forsee delays and ensure that the package is properly insulated and that the heat packs are the best quality possible so that they last longer than the expected delivery time.
That said, I will usually just ask that they include a replacement in my next order so that at least they are not out of pocket for postage as well as for a replacement. It's a bit different if dealing with a private person selling an unwanted pet but with a business or someone who regularly wheels and deals remember that they are selling at a profit, replacing a DOA means that they make less profit, profit that has come out of your pocket. You've probably already paid for, or will pay for, the replacement yourself so don't feel too guilty about getting a replacement for a DOA.