• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What kind of tricks can your pet Tarantula do?

Youlovejordan

3 Year Member
Hey guys!

I am in the process of teaching Pierre (My tarantula) how to shake hands with me. We almost have it down pact and it's the coolest thing! Just wondering, can your tarantula do tricks too?

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
That IS pretty crazy. Do you have a video of your tarantula doing his trick? Did you use some kind of treat to get him to do it?

Youlovejordan

3 Year Member
Since they don't have any taste buds I sometimes feed him recently killed crickets as a reward. I figured if I could teach my puppy how to shake hands I can teach my spider too! Pierre thinks he's the boss I tried to record him doing it earlier but he didn't do it. I guess he wasn't in the mood. I try not to do it often as I don't want to get on his nerves. I did find a video on Youtube but it's not me. This is how Pierre shakes hands (well legs)

Youlovejordan

3 Year Member
I know! I'm going to try to record Pierre tomorrow so you guys can see. I want to teach him new tricks but I don't have any ideas? Maybe I could teach him how to moonwalk or something that would be hilarious. Just kidding :)

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
That would be epic! I dig the video you posted above. Makes a bit more sense now that I can see what you mean...

Donk

3 Year Member
Would this work with other trantulas..touching leg or near will cause them to raise it.....I wouldnt recommend attempting with a T.Blondi or a Camel Spider tho. Does look kind of fun tho and impressive to children.

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
my biggest t ramases has taught me to turn the heating up when he taps on his tank at the end nearest the heater. the rose hairs seem to be the most intelligent in my collection they investigate and work things out quicker than my others.

christine henderson

3 Year Member
my biggest t ramases has taught me to turn the heating up when he taps on his tank at the end nearest the heater. the rose hairs seem to be the most intelligent in my collection they investigate and work things out quicker than my others.
Yes, my Chilean Rose, Charlotte taps on the front of the tank when she wants a cricket. I didn't teach her this, it's just something she's always done. I have to be vigilant when I put in a cricket because sometimes she climbs out so I have to push her back in.

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yes, never underestimate the brain power of the Chile! Ramases is bossy greedy and really funny but not stupid and has trained me to do his bidding on command.

christine henderson

3 Year Member
Sounds like charlotte would win "cleverest spider" competition. She sounds amazing.
Charlotte is 11 years old and I've had her for 6 years. I took her in when the previous owner didn't want her. After watching her over the years and the things she does I certainly see spiders in a different light. I definitely think they have some form of intelligence.

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Charlotte is 11 years old and I've had her for 6 years. I took her in when the previous owner didn't want her. After watching her over the years and the things she does I certainly see spiders in a different light. I definitely think they have some form of intelligence.
Ahh i bet you Will have many years with her. My delilah is arpund 25 and still active and enjoying life. She looks as if someone has tipped talcum powder on her as she has gone grey . Charlotte does sound amazing i bet she has you wrapped around her finger!

Latest posts