• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What kind is he?

Ralphie

Ralphie has barricaded himself in his hide out, it's been about a week. How long will he stay hidden? Do I still feed him. When I got he they just called him Fancy does anyone know what he really is?

Attachments

• 20220207_113552_HDR_(1).jpg
    20220207_113552_HDR_(1).jpg
    722.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 20211126_082827_HDR.jpg
    20211126_082827_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 52
  • 20211124_194818_HDR.jpg
    20211124_194818_HDR.jpg
    813 KB · Views: 52

Tarantulafeets

I think that it could be a G pulchra in need of a molt, but the enclosure looks way too tall... I suggest to fill it up with substrate until the height from the ground to the top is 1.5 the dls of the spider, so that there is no risk of a fall and abdomen injury.

Ralphie

Thank you, I thought that I should have added more and I will. How long should I wait before adding or changing anything, I don't want to disturb him.

Tarantulafeets

Thank you, I thought that I should have added more and I will. How long should I wait before adding or changing anything, I don't want to disturb him.
If you want, you can just move it into a smaller enclosure, as it would be easier to monitor it, and it takes up less space. But since he is burrowed, you can wait until he comes out to change things.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
I would not disturb your tarantula while it is in the hide. It may be in the process of molting. Premolt, molting could take awhile, so your T could be in there for weeks maybe even months.
When this has happened to me I have offered pre-killed/ disabled prey just in case, although my Ts are not as big as yours and some Ts don't like pre-killed. If uneaten after a day or so, I remove it.

Keep water available.

Your T managed to stay alive so far and their survival instincts are good.

As for adding more substrate right away, I am hoping that others with more experience will comment. I might be tempted to add some substrate to those areas away from the hide, so that when it does come out, it would find safer areas, particularly if it has just molted.

Keep us updated.

Ralphie

I would not disturb your tarantula while it is in the hide. It may be in the process of molting. Premolt, molting could take awhile, so your T could be in there for weeks maybe even months.
When this has happened to me I have offered pre-killed/ disabled prey just in case, although my Ts are not as big as yours and some Ts don't like pre-killed. If uneaten after a day or so, I remove it.

Keep water available.

Your T managed to stay alive so far and their survival instincts are good.

As for adding more substrate right away, I am hoping that others with more experience will comment. I might be tempted to add some substrate to those areas away from the hide, so that when it does come out, it would find safer areas, particularly if it has just molted.

Keep us updated.
I am not going to do anything for now, just making sure temp and humidity are right. My daughter's tarantula moulted yesterday and Wally is doing great.

Ralphie

Last night I noticed a small opening to Ralphie's hideout, he was moving around inside, today he has covered up again, I am very excited that there is some kind of movement going on.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Yup, tarantulas know what they are doing.

Glad to know you are seeing some activity.

sunset

I can completely relate. I have a T.Vaggins that is usually out and hanging around the top of the enclosure but has decided that this time it's going to go inside it's burrow and cover it's hole up. It makes it hard to make sure they're okay, us newbies to the hobby worry a lot but sometimes we just have to leave it up to nature and know that they have been living on this planet long before we have and have amazing instincts to know exactly what to do. Just imagine what they're going to look like when they come out.I love the first look of a fresh molt. And knowing that it's because we've taken such great care of them that they continue to thrive. Can't wait to see your pictures. Hope everything turns out well

Ralphie

I can completely relate. I have a T.Vaggins that is usually out and hanging around the top of the enclosure but has decided that this time it's going to go inside it's burrow and cover it's hole up. It makes it hard to make sure they're okay, us newbies to the hobby worry a lot but sometimes we just have to leave it up to nature and know that they have been living on this planet long before we have and have amazing instincts to know exactly what to do. Just imagine what they're going to look like when they come out.I love the first look of a fresh molt. And knowing that it's because we've taken such great care of them that they continue to thrive. Can't wait to see your pictures. Hope everything turns out well
Thank you for your words, I don't know if I should put a cricket in, it's been 9 days without food. If you have any information please let me know. I will post pictures when he comes back out.

Ralphie

I just checked the calendar, it's been 22 day and Ralphie is still burrowed in his hideout. No food, you say it's normal but I'm scared. I am keeping water and humidity levels but I haven't tried to feed because he does not come out. I saw him last week and I know he was still alive then.

Nurse Ratchet

My juvenile T vagans barricaded itself in it's hide for 72 days without food or water. I just kept changing the water and didn't put any good in Incase it was molting (which it did at some point in there). I heard some can hide for 28 months. I stressed out about no matter how much information told it was normal. Then I bought another T, then another.
Don't stress. But another tarantula :)

Nurse Ratchet

Please forgive all the typos I just noticed. It was a long night at work. Hope it's still legible.
But really, you should buy another tarantula. One is stressful, add a few more and it's super fun!

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Nurse Ratchet is spot on (again). Some tarantulas do these things. My G. rosea is currently secluded in her cave and has been almost as long as Ralphie. Tarantulas can slow down their bodies and survive on what they have stored. My rosea was in premolt when she went in. Keep an eye open and keep conditions like you regularly do.

Ralphie

Please forgive all the typos I just noticed. It was a long night at work. Hope it's still legible.
But really, you should buy another tarantula. One is stressful, add a few more and it's super fun!
What kinds are good for beginners? I just got another enclosure because I am thinking about getting another. I'm in Westfield, Massachusetts and have been looking for private seller with more experience but haven't had any luck.

Nurse Ratchet

There are so many videos with suggestions. The more common seem to be new world terrestrials such as T albopilosus, T vagans, G pulchra or G rosea (G's are slow growers), L parahybana if you want something big, GBB, and the arboreal A avicularia. The more common, the less expensive.
Research each species for individual husbandry guidelines, though the few above are about as simple as it gets.
I'm excited for you. Let us know if you get another, and definitely update us on your G rosea!

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
What kinds are good for beginners? I just got another enclosure because I am thinking about getting another. I'm in Westfield, Massachusetts and have been looking for private seller with more experience but haven't had any luck.
Have you tried Arachnoiden, a breeder based in Lunenburg Mass, near Fitchburg? My rosea in hiding came from him as did my first T a G. pulchripes (Chaco Golden Knee). He might have some suggestions.

Latest posts