• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What is wrong with this video...

timc

3 Year Member
Lol I think the better question is what is right about this video. From the handling to the sponge recommendation to no hide in the enclosure he took the aphonopelma out of, which I believe was sitting on sand. Holy moses this video should just be taken down. The only thing he got right was saying he doesn't want anyone to get bit.

Innova

3 Year Member
Oh he has made 14 vids about this, giving beginners wrong information. You likely will end up with a dead tarantula taking this guys advice.:(

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Lol I think the better question is what is right about this video. From the handling to the sponge recommendation to no hide in the enclosure he took the aphonopelma out of, which I believe was sitting on sand. Holy moses this video should just be taken down. The only thing he got right was saying he doesn't want anyone to get bit.
Sand has been a common substrate for G. rosea for a long time. I guess they think that if htey come form the atacama desert they should live on sand? :p The enclosures look like temp enclosures to me, probably something he just setup to make the video. But handling an Avic as a suggestion? lol good thing i didn't watch his vids when i started the hobby. no way would I have been ready to have an Avic escape ;)

And yes, lets put a bacteria breeding ground in the water dish....

timc

3 Year Member
But handling an Avic as a suggestion? lol good thing i didn't watch his vids when i started the hobby. no way would I have been ready to have an Avic escape ;)

Lol I had a diversipes do two laps around the bath tub today, so yes, you should hold all the avics because they're not pokieso_O and I think if my species had evolved for millennia in the Sahara I'd still prefer coco fiber lol

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@kormath and yeah...have sponges for all of your bacterial needs. Where else would a spider get sick?
It's like walking through a store and looking at labels on the back of products. Almost everything you pick up has a warning that it causes cancer in California. how did Californians become so weak? :p

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Oh, we don't wanna give them a bowl of water for them to "highly unlikely" drown in if it's of proportionate size to the tarantula BUT we can put a sponge soaked in water in there and hope it doesn't mold, mildew, or cause the tarantula to become sick from any bacteria that WILL be held in it. Lmao. Sand is cool for a desert species. I've seen quite a few folks use it. The Aphonopelma sp. should have at least 4-6" of sand or some type of substrate to burrow in along with a hide and "water dish filled with water". Tarantulas can bite. Any species. Docile ones, mean ones, hairy ones, fat ones, gravid ones, males, females, etc. Very unwise to play with 2 different species at the same time. If you do choose to handle your tarantula, make sure it's very low to the floor and there's a soft cushiony surface under it or just don't hold it at all. Hmmm......I think that about covers it for now....(for now).

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
True, the guy's a doucher, but the sand is bad club needs to calm down. I've chased tarantulas through a desert before...yes, they live in it. No, pure sand is not proper. Most desert isn't pure sand..its sand on top of dirt on top of clay and rock..in my humble experiences digging in it..only beaches are sandy, and the middle of great deserts. Sand is not wrong for a dry species..pure sand would be. My Brachypelma and Grammastola will be moved to a sand/clay/dirt mixture for their final enclosures. Because it's fun, and more natural for them. I only wish I could grow scrub bushes in their enclosures:D Also, all spiders like rocks. Just sayin.

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
True, the guy's a doucher, but the sand is bad club needs to calm down. I've chased tarantulas through a desert before...yes, they live in it. No, pure sand is not proper. Most desert isn't pure sand..its sand on top of dirt on top of clay and rock..in my humble experiences digging in it..only beaches are sandy, and the middle of great deserts. Sand is not wrong for a dry species..pure sand would be. My Brachypelma and Grammastola will be moved to a sand/clay/dirt mixture for their final enclosures. Because it's fun, and more natural for them. I only wish I could grow scrub bushes in their enclosures:D Also, all spiders like rocks. Just sayin.
Why would you give a T a sponge? They cant do dishes..

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Oh, we don't wanna give them a bowl of water for them to "highly unlikely" drown in if it's of proportionate size to the tarantula BUT we can put a sponge soaked in water in there and hope it doesn't mold, mildew, or cause the tarantula to become sick from any bacteria that WILL be held in it. Lmao. Sand is cool for a desert species. I've seen quite a few folks use it. The Aphonopelma sp. should have at least 4-6" of sand or some type of substrate to burrow in along with a hide and "water dish filled with water". Tarantulas can bite. Any species. Docile ones, mean ones, hairy ones, fat ones, gravid ones, males, females, etc. Very unwise to play with 2 different species at the same time. If you do choose to handle your tarantula, make sure it's very low to the floor and there's a soft cushiony surface under it or just don't hold it at all. Hmmm......I think that about covers it for now....(for now).
The avatar is back :D

Agreed. I have a bag of sand i'll be mixing with top soil and peat for my rosea's final enclosure when it get's that size in a decade or so ;) Scrub will grow in that, just need to water it once a week or so.

Latest posts