• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What is the best size enclosure

Leepbby

I have a 2-3" Tliltocatl albopilosum and it's come to my attention that that her enclosure maybe slightly too large I would like to get some clarification on what size enclosure would best suit her.

GreenKnight

Based on feedback here on some threads...if you have a 2" T, then length should be no more than 3 times that length, and width no more than two times that. So for 2" T, a 6 by 4 inch container is fine. Height wise...the space between substrate where the T sits and ceiling, should be no more than 1.5 times their size. So for a 2", no more than 3" of space. That's to prevent falls from too great a height.

Leepbby

Based on feedback here on some threads...if you have a 2" T, then length should be no more than 3 times that length, and width no more than two times that. So for 2" T, a 6 by 4 inch container is fine. Height wise...the space between substrate where the T sits and ceiling, should be no more than 1.5 times their size. So for a 2", no more than 3" of space. That's to prevent falls from too great a height.
Thank you that is EXTREMELY helpful and I was off I did a measurement and she's actually a little more than 3" so by the standards its sounds as if she should be in a 9"x6" with height from substrate at 4.5" of space does that sound about right?

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thank you that is EXTREMELY helpful and I was off I did a measurement and she's actually a little more than 3" so by the standards its sounds as if she should be in a 9"x6" with height from substrate at 4.5" of space does that sound about right?
You can post a pic here but your enclosure size seems appropriate for your T

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Tarantulas climb and Tarantulas fall. Id estimate that over 90% of the reports "my tarantula has fallen" is from outside of the enclosure. Tarantulas don't die from falling from 1' or less inside their enclosure unless you have large jagged rocks in there. Tarantulas hanging from a screen top because they are stuck is a different issue. Thats where I would make sure they could still touch the ground while on the screen.
Ive been keeping Tarantulas for almost 40 years. I have never had a terrestrial spider die from falling in a 10 gallon tank or larger. I have however had a arboreal spider die from a fall while molting...go figure.
Make sure you have a good amount of substrate, moss and foliage to dampen a fall and just about any normal size terrestrial enclosure would be fine. If your using a screen top make sure they can touch the ground or change it out for acrylic.

I use Zoomed low profile enclosures for most of my terrestrial spider. I wouldnt hesitate to use one for a 2-3" spider as long as the screen was changed out. Its super easy to do and only costs around $10 to do.
20210321_132915.jpg
20210320_124839(0).jpg

20210112_191307.jpg
20210224_181921.jpg

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Ive been keeping Tarantulas for almost 40 years. I have never had a terrestrial spider die from falling in a 10 gallon tank or larger. I have however had a arboreal spider die from a fall while molting...go figure.
My large, MF M6 fell out of her webbing while molting; 3" fall. She was fine, but if it were in the wild, she would have been a meal, or roadkill.
#stoopidspider

The guideline for enclosure size is 3-4x DLS and 1.5-2x DLS free climbing height. Adjust free climbing height with substrate depth.

Leepbby

Tarantulas climb and Tarantulas fall. Id estimate that over 90% of the reports "my tarantula has fallen" is from outside of the enclosure. Tarantulas don't die from falling from 1' or less inside their enclosure unless you have large jagged rocks in there. Tarantulas hanging from a screen top because they are stuck is a different issue. Thats where I would make sure they could still touch the ground while on the screen.
Make sure you have a good amount of substrate, moss and foliage to dampen a fall and just about any normal size terrestrial enclosure would be fine. If your using a screen top make sure they can touch the ground or change it out for acrylic.

I use Zoomed low profile enclosures for most of my terrestrial spider. I wouldnt hesitate to use one for a 2-3" spider as long as the screen was changed out. Its super easy to do and only costs around $10 to do.View attachment 56430View attachment 56427
View attachment 56428View attachment 56429
thank you and beautiful "Ts" by the way

liquidfluidity

3 Year Member
My Curly is close to the same size as yours. I keep it in an 8x8x8 Exo Terra and it's a great fit. I have the substrate graded towards the back and ends up being 3"-4" deep with a submerged hide. I have also replaced the screen with drilled acrylic. Just worked out perfectly for me.

Latest posts