• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What is a good species to start with?

Jenniferinfl

I have a bunch of slings right now, but, am thinking of spending too much money to buy one female just to give myself a head start.

What would be a good species to start with? I don't want to breed something that is so prevalent you can barely give them away but I also don't want to make rookie mistakes with something too uncommon either.

I was thinking pokies just because they seem prevalent enough and it seems like their egg sacs are more like 100 or less instead of hundreds. But, they are also so fast, that they probably aren't a great choice for other reasons.

I like all the common terrestrial, beginner type tarantulas too. Honestly, I pretty much love all of them except like the OW fossorial baboon types. Though, I could even go for one of those if they are a good place to start. :)

I don't seem myself buying a bunch of females because I really do like raising slings and the surprise of what they will turn out to be. But, I'd like to buy one just to see if it's my sort of thing.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
For character & personality, my Aphonopelma chalcodes (Arizona Blonde,) is one of my favourite T's. If you want something bigger, then how about a Lasiodora parahybana? They are the third biggest T & all of mine are calm & gentle. My biggest girl was just over 8.5 inches at the last molt & she always pops up to say hello when you take the lid off her enclosure & LP's are in abundant supply & thus cheap to buy.

Cnidarianfarmer

For character & personality, my Aphonopelma chalcodes (Arizona Blonde,) is one of my favourite T's. If you want something bigger, then how about a Lasiodora parahybana? They are the third biggest T & all of mine are calm & gentle. My biggest girl was just over 8.5 inches at the last molt & she always pops up to say hello when you take the lid off her enclosure & LP's are in abundant supply & thus cheap to buy.
A. chalcodoes might be a good option, but its also pretty prevalent and in many cases given away as freebies.
I think OP mentioned they didn't want something that lays tons of eggs, so LP definitely wouldn't be a good choice unless OP is willing to deal with 1000- 1500 eggs/ slings.

Id recommend N. incei as a first time breeding species, pretty easy to pair, some leave males in overnight without any issues, they mature rather quickly and females gestation period is usually only 3-4 weeks. They lay sacks of a manageable 50-70eggs.
While the going rate for slings is usually only 25- 30, I dont think OP is really looking at making bank.

Jenniferinfl

Chalcodes is definitely on my buy list- if I happen upon a female I'll definitely try.
LP is a nope for me. I love them and I have a sling, but not dealing with thousands of eggs.. lol At one point, I had three LP's, that's how much I like them.

Jenniferinfl

A. chalcodoes might be a good option, but its also pretty prevalent and in many cases given away as freebies.
I think OP mentioned they didn't want something that lays tons of eggs, so LP definitely wouldn't be a good choice unless OP is willing to deal with 1000- 1500 eggs/ slings.

Id recommend N. incei as a first time breeding species, pretty easy to pair, some leave males in overnight without any issues, they mature rather quickly and females gestation period is usually only 3-4 weeks. They lay sacks of a manageable 50-70eggs.
While the going rate for slings is usually only 25- 30, I dont think OP is really looking at making bank.
N. incei sounds very manageable. Thank you, I will look around for a female as they probably aren't that expensive either. I don't care at all about making bank, I just want to have the experience without it being too daunting for a first experience.

Jenniferinfl

If you want a good beginner T that has good value, try to breed G. pulchra, those are always popular
You aren't wrong there- I've always wanted a pulchra, but, something has always gone wrong where I haven't managed to get one. I'm supposed to be picking up a juvenile this weekend. I feel like I've just jinxed myself by even saying it out loud. Someone local to me has both a juvenile pulchra and a juvenile emilia. My luck of course will be that if I do manage to get them that they end up males.. lol

Jenniferinfl

What's your budget?
To be honest, still sort of feeling that out myself.

Probably $250 or so simply because I had that big die-off years ago and am still a bit nervous even though the pile of slings I've bought over the last 6 weeks are all doing well.

I wish I could move right to a higher demand species, but, I feel like I shouldn't risk it in the event I have another similar event.

We're still trying to find the right contractor, but, we're doing a big remodel and garage conversion along with an addition. The plan is that we'll have a T and herp room at that point on it's own mini split AC system to avoid cross contamination with the house. At that point, I'd be more comfortable spending more because I'd have a safer environment.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
You have asked a very interesting question @Jenniferinfl, and as I have no tarantula breeding experience and only a few months of nervous tarantula ownership, I really can't offer you any fact-based advice.

But seeing as a lack of knowledge has never stopped me from giving advice, here is mine.

I concur with MBullock, and think that G. pulchra might be a good starting point for breeding. They are slow growers but seem to be in demand and get what I think are fairly good prices. And they are so damn beautiful. @Konstantin showed a beautiful picture of his a while back in May. ( I have two young ones including a 2" +shy cutie I got from @Casey K. - she just molted btw Casey and thanks)

I just don't know the difficulty of breeding them. I heard that G. rosea, can be difficult to breed. By the way, roseas might be another option as their native Chile has curtailed exports of them. They too seem to be easy going. My 2"+ male I got from @tomz1637 is the most active of my 4 Ts and almost never goes into its hide.

I did want to add that you seem to have a good head on your shoulders and are taking a thoughtful and conscientious approach to this.

prince charmless

I currently have 3 LP slings now about 2" dls. I got them from a local breeder and they were wonderfully cheap. Great feeding response

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I currently have 3 LP slings now about 2" dls. I got them from a local breeder and they were wonderfully cheap. Great feeding response
Leggiest of all my slings, the LP, and has the potential to grow to a 9-inch spider without breaking a sweat

Jenniferinfl

You have asked a very interesting question @Jenniferinfl, and as I have no tarantula breeding experience and only a few months of nervous tarantula ownership, I really can't offer you any fact-based advice.

But seeing as a lack of knowledge has never stopped me from giving advice, here is mine.

I concur with MBullock, and think that G. pulchra might be a good starting point for breeding. They are slow growers but seem to be in demand and get what I think are fairly good prices. And they are so damn beautiful. @Konstantin showed a beautiful picture of his a while back in May. ( I have two young ones including a 2" +shy cutie I got from @Casey K. - she just molted btw Casey and thanks)

I just don't know the difficulty of breeding them. I heard that G. rosea, can be difficult to breed. By the way, roseas might be another option as their native Chile has curtailed exports of them. They too seem to be easy going. My 2"+ male I got from @tomz1637 is the most active of my 4 Ts and almost never goes into its hide.

I did want to add that you seem to have a good head on your shoulders and are taking a thoughtful and conscientious approach to this.
I do have a young pulchra, a bit over 2", so if that one ends up being female than one day I will attempt. :)

I quite like rosehairs, I had one for many years but, unfortunately she only ever produced phantom eggs sacs. I'd like to replace mine at some point- but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Jenniferinfl

Leggiest of all my slings, the LP, and has the potential to grow to a 9-inch spider without breaking a sweat

I like LP's quite a bit, I have a spiderling that's already almost big enough to be a juvenile. It's still at that point where just touching the lid of the container sends it running into a tunnel.

Wolfclans

Yes indeed I have two LPs and are fun to have around I have one curly hair those are nice to have also

Wolfclans

I have a bunch of slings right now, but, am thinking of spending too much money to buy one female just to give myself a head start.

What would be a good species to start with? I don't want to breed something that is so prevalent you can barely give them away but I also don't want to make rookie mistakes with something too uncommon either.

I was thinking pokies just because they seem prevalent enough and it seems like their egg sacs are more like 100 or less instead of hundreds. But, they are also so fast, that they probably aren't a great choice for other reasons.

I like all the common terrestrial, beginner type tarantulas too. Honestly, I pretty much love all of them except like the OW fossorial baboon types. Though, I could even go for one of those if they are a good place to start. :)

I don't seem myself buying a bunch of females because I really do like raising slings and the surprise of what they will turn out to be. But, I'd like to buy one just to see if it's my sort of thing.
Curly hair or LPs I found them very easy to maintain

Latest posts