• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What, if any are tell tail signs of pre-molt.

KIA_PETE

This is more of a general question then anything in particular.

Is the like a "10 signs of pre-molt" as a general rule for a majority of tarantulas?

I know things such as them hiding, not feeding and going slightly shiny on the abdomen as a few.
But are there other factors to visually tell, so you can determine when a molt is coming on, I dunno like the carapace getting a lighter edge or something like that as a random example
How frequently do they molt if you are doing everything right, does that vary from juvenile to adult?

Or does it all just vary a lot from species to species

Thanks

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
This is more of a general question then anything in particular.

Is the like a "10 signs of pre-molt" as a general rule for a majority of tarantulas?

I know things such as them hiding, not feeding and going slightly shiny on the abdomen as a few.
But are there other factors to visually tell, so you can determine when a molt is coming on, I dunno like the carapace getting a lighter edge or something like that as a random example
How frequently do they molt if you are doing everything right, does that vary from juvenile to adult?

Or does it all just vary a lot from species to species

Thanks
Besides the shiny, black abdomen and dull coloration, I can't think of any other visual signs.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You'll see molting mats of webbing for terrestrials or the hide walled off. For my pokies and even my versicolor, they'll make sort of a web tube that's similar to the normal one except for being blocked off, larger and thicker then normal. The webbing can be almost defensive like it's for keeping things out instead of trapping things in.

My C versicolor always takes a BIG drink 2 hours before the molt. If you catch them doing this, leave them alone or maybe set up the camera.

I just leave them alone.

Latest posts