• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What do you think.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I believe new hobbyists gravitate a lot towards the colorful Brachypelmas (smithi, klassi, emilia, auratum, baumgarteni, bohemi...), as @WolfSpider said, P. metallica and GBB are popular too as they fit within the beautiful and colorful ones. For the Xenesthis sp, because of the price range it is more for seasoned hobbyists the way I see it. T. blondi, aphosysis and stirmi also usually sell well as they are some of the biggest and most impressive spiders, the slings also are much bigger than usual Ts' slings making it more appealing to hobbyists trying to stay avoid 1/4 inch babies and the struggle with pinheads :)
Last but not least, once again due to the color thing :D, Caribbean versicolor and Avicularia purpurea usually sell very well too.
Hope this helps, cheers.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I believe new hobbyists gravitate a lot towards the colorful Brachypelmas (smithi, klassi, emilia, auratum, baumgarteni, bohemi...), as @WolfSpider said, P. metallica and GBB are popular too as they fit within the beautiful and colorful ones. For the Xenesthis sp, because of the price range it is more for seasoned hobbyists the way I see it. T. blondi, aphosysis and stirmi also usually sell well as they are some of the biggest and most impressive spiders, the slings also are much bigger than usual Ts' slings making it more appealing to hobbyists trying to stay avoid 1/4 inch babies and the struggle with pinheads :)
Last but not least, once again due to the color thing :D, Caribbean versicolor and Avicularia purpurea usually sell very well too.
Hope this helps, cheers.
Can't argue with any of that. Spot on :)

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Curly hair T, so cute and fuzzy!
They are indeed, but due to how easy they are to mate and the very large amount of slings per egg sac, they usually end up as freebies with other Ts orders. So this might not be the best choice if trying to sell Ts. This is how I ended up with 5 of them :D but I still love them very much.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
One of them is my favorite girl to bring to my son’s school every year to introduce his mates to the amazing world of tarantulas. She is super cool, never freaks out and let the little ones get close and touch her legs. She has never flicked hair once but as I have her in my hands for a while I always use gloves.
1BE55410-82ED-48D1-A556-20CBF3EF65F0.jpeg

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
All of them sell
They are indeed, but due to how easy they are to mate and the very large amount of slings per egg sac, they usually end up as freebies with other Ts orders. So this might not be the best choice if trying to sell Ts. This is how I ended up with 5 of them :D but I still love them very much.
I can sell 700 T. albopilosum faster then 150 P. metallicas, gbbs, or A. purpurea. So which is better...top dollar or total sales?

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
All of them sell

I can sell 700 T. albopilosum faster then 150 P. metallicas, gbbs, or A. purpurea. So which is better...top dollar or total sales?
That is a very valid question and the answer depends on how much time and work these 700 curly hair will take for the monetary gain compared to the P. metallica. If you have the space, time and are committed to do this as your major source of income, I would go for the curly hair only because of the long run. 700 sold means 700 likely new clients you can give a good impression to and develop a relationship. As this hobby is extremely addictive people usually start small and cheap then go increasingly in number of Ts and their rarity as time passes. Get them their first T with a cheap and easy curly hair then they will be back to you when they are ready for the metallica ;)

ThePog

3 Year Member
I have read all of your responses and I appreciate it all, and to clear something up, I have been in the hobby for a few years now and I am honestly more interested in having Ts than selling them. I only just have started to take roots with a new business of mine and I want to do this to reach people and share the amazing hobby that is arachnid keeping and to show people that big spiders are not that scary once you get to know them.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
All of them sell

It's opposite for me. Usually, I find it difficult to find wholesalers willing to purchase bulk slings. I know of a few but usually they don't want what I produce. Not sure if its the price or? Now, on regular retail sells, I won't lie, I usually kill it, lol. I could sell a sh** ton of females, pairs or slings no problem but wholesaling isn't one of my best experiences. I do think my prices are reasonable, though. Perhaps I shall take a few lessons from you, dear friend? Lol.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It's opposite for me. Usually, I find it difficult to find wholesalers willing to purchase bulk slings. I know of a few but usually they don't want what I produce. Not sure if its the price or? Now, on regular retail sells, I won't lie, I usually kill it, lol. I could sell a sh** ton of females, pairs or slings no problem but wholesaling isn't one of my best experiences. I do think my prices are reasonable, though. Perhaps I shall take a few lessons from you, dear friend? Lol.
Yes, I couldn't agree more. We need to find the right middle between the two sales strategies. How about P. metallica at the price of T. albopilosus? ;)

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yes, I couldn't agree more. We need to find the right middle between the two sales strategies. How about P. metallica at the price of T. albopilosus? ;)

It's possible but that may be a long way down the road. Unfortunately, P. metallica do not produce as many slings per sac as T. albopilosus so they aren't as abundant as albopilosus are.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It's possible but that may be a long way down the road. Unfortunately, P. metallica do not produce as many slings per sac as T. albopilosus so they aren't as abundant as albopilosus are.
I wasn't completely serious ;) but one can't be blamed for trying!

Latest posts