• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Wet enclosure

izzp99

I belive I've made my tarantulas enclosure too wet, I'm not sure how since I've only filled up the water bowl every two weeks or so, would it be a good idea to change the substrate? I have noticed any mold yet there are tiny little flies... should I just let it dry out or fully change the substrate?

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
I think we need more info and good pictures would help.
What species of tarantula? Some are more/less tolerant of moisture. Any dead prey left in enclosure?

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I got fed up with guesswork & especially guesswork with arboreal enclosures. So I brought myself one of those moisture meters they use for potted plants. Like that, I can test even an old world arboreal enclosure & get a better idea of just how moist my enclosures are. I have only used it a couple of times. But it makes me feel like I am making informed decisions.

11429s.jpg

izzp99

I think we need more info and good pictures would help.
What species of tarantula? Some are more/less tolerant of moisture. Any dead prey left in enclosure?
I'm not sure what the pictures would be of sorry, the little flies are too small to even capture on camera and the substrate is simply very moist. It's a curly hair tarantula, and no I don't leave any dead pray in the enclosure

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The small flies are not a problem, but moist substrate in a Brachy / Tliltocatl enclosure is. It sometimes happens & what I do, is remove a small amount of substrate & replace it with very dry substrate. But I always have spare substrate available.

If you have some substrate available, but it's moist, gently dry it in an oven.

Only overflow the water bowl every couple of weeks & don't do it in the same place. Move the bowl around. So that each time you over flow the bowl, that area fully dries out.

The substrate will dry out & when it does the flies will vanish.

Latest posts