• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Welcome to thunderdome

Paul Bowen

3 Year Member
Hello all, I am Paul, do not own a T yet, been doing a lot of research and will own 1 soon. The wife doesn't want one in the house so I'm thinking of one for the office. Something hardy and doesn't require alot of attention. I hear the OBT is a hearty guy. Kidding. Lol

Suggestions?

Last edited:

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi, welcome to the hobby.:)

One T that makes a great starter is the Brachypelma albopilosum (the curly hair) as slings they are great diggers that can usually be seen scurrying around underground but once they reach 1-1.5" they spend most of their time in full view. They are calm and great feeders, adorable Ts.

Pearl Dusenbery

3 Year Member
B. Smithi (Mexican Red Knee)
G. Pulchra (Brazilian Black)
B. Albopilosum (Currly Hair)

These r the best beginner T's in my book. They tend to b laid back and r generally easy to care for.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You want a good display tarantula for your office, one that shows itself. Any Brachy, or Grammastola. Any of the big new world species, like Lasiodora or Phormictopus (both very hardy). Obts are extremely hardy, just not great for display.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi Paul and welcome. All very good suggestions already made so nothing to add thee. And as you can see, you have entered one of the best on line communities for T keepers here. @Shampain is also very correct, clear the printer, get rid of all the reference books you never look at and turn that Office into a T room.....lol

Paul Bowen

3 Year Member
I just want to say yall rock. So help and yah I've had like 5 shots bit still, very helpful community.

Redacted

3 Year Member
I just want to say yall rock. So help and yah I've had like 5 shots bit still, very helpful community.
Paul- welcome! Consider the Chaco Golden Knee, Grammostola pulchripes, as a display/pet. Beautiful, large, pretty, gentle, out in the open, and bullet-proof.

Latest posts