• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Weird things in substrate

Emma157

I just noticed today in my A. chalcodes enclosure that there are these clear egg looking things in her substrate, and I can't find anything on them. this is the only part of the enclosure that I've seen so far that has them . None of my other T's have them either. I don't feed crickets, so I dont think its that. Not sure if they're mites either, if anyone has an idea that'd be very helpful. I wanna know if I need to rehouse her or not .

Attachments

• IMG_0152.JPG
    IMG_0152.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0153.JPG
    IMG_0153.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 34

Emma157

Never seen those before. They do look like some kind of larvae. What feeders do you use?

The last two feedings I’ve used Dubias and then before that I used a superworm a couple times . I don’t leave behind any crickets either, and I haven’t fed them in a while so it can’t be from that. Still not sure what it could be, I’m gonna switch out the substrate later to be safe

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
The last two feedings I’ve used Dubias and then before that I used a superworm a couple times . I don’t leave behind any crickets either, and I haven’t fed them in a while so it can’t be from that. Still not sure what it could be, I’m gonna switch out the substrate later to be safe
Dubia egg cases are held internally and they don't look like that. Superworms are a larval form, so they would not be laying eggs. Only the mature beetles would lay any eggs.

I don't know what those are from, but they sure look like an egg of some sort to me. I'd scoop them out with a spoon like Enn said, and let them hatch just to see what it is.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Dubia egg cases are held internally and they don't look like that. Superworms are a larval form, so they would not be laying eggs. Only the mature beetles would lay any eggs.

I don't know what those are from, but they sure look like an egg of some sort to me. I'd scoop them out with a spoon like Enn said, and let them hatch just to see what it is.
This. I'm curious as hell..

Emma157

yea i dunno if anything from outside possibly got into the bucket of substrate I had. But even so I still don't know what it would even be from. Im gonna remove them and move it outside. I can't find anything still that has eggs that look like that.

Solsurfer

Sounds like mites. Is the substrate damp? If so let it dry out they can't survive without the dampness. Isopods will help control them too by competing for food. Just regular old rolipolis

Emma157

Okay so, I just woke a bit ago and looked inside her enclosure , and they hatched. And it’s crickets. A ton of baby crickets in her enclosure lol. I’m still confused as to how they got there since I don’t leave any running around when I feed her but at least it wasn’t mites.