• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Weird discoloring on abdomen, help!

KHolyoak

3 Year Member
C80E888D-E9F2-4130-8B11-1A677B5B4F6E.jpeg
My GBB acted scared of a cricket when I tried to feed her. Luckily I got it out of there when I saw that.
She has a weird discoloration on her abdomen. Pic provided.
Evidence of her molting soon?

Tnoob

Uhh, I'm not the pro here, but that looks like dandruff. There's something weird going on with its abdomen. Has it been injured?

KHolyoak

3 Year Member
It hasn’t been injured as far as I can tell. She’s never been dropped or anything.
I’m worried if this is dandruff what could be the causes?

Nunua

3 Year Member
It has just rubbed off urticating hairs from those spots, so no need to worry. Sometimes they get completely bald on the butts if they keep flicking. The hairs loosen in small, soft clusters and looks like dust or dandruff when in-between setae (longer hairs)

Urticating hairs cause irritation and flicking them is the main defense mechanism of the new world species. They also rub off the hairs on the web when creating a molt mat to have a layer of defense when otherwise completely helpless.

Last edited:

Latest posts