• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Weird behavior -- B hamorii

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Is it normal for them to hang around on the glass in a vertical position like an arboreal?

My new B hamorii really likes that moss that I put into the enclosure but she is hanging out vertically on the glass above it. She's not upside down, which would be far worse, just vertical.

I haven't seen a terrestrial do that before. I doubt it's cause for concern even though I have to open the cage more carefully to feed her.

Has anyone else noticed this behavior?

She was doing the same thing in her old cage at the pet store, which made getting a tentative sex much easier, but it's still weird.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That's the weird part. The substrate itself is perfectly dry. The water dish and moss beside it are the only moist things in the enclosure and the moss had probably dried out by now.

There isn't a way she smells the previous occupant is there?

I just ordered more peat substrate because I'm running to low on it to change it out.

Last edited:

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
Terrestrials are terrestrials. Everything I’ve read says add substrate so they can’t climb. That being said, what keeps terrestrials from climbing trees or cacti or other stuff in the wild? I don’t know the answer, just wondering.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I found that the cricket wasn't eaten after all. Now she's in the hide as she should be, right under the wireless router in the cage. Yes, I set it up that way on purpose because it's 76 degrees under there in that area.

Nunua

3 Year Member
My genic did that for a long time when I first got her - Nowadays she's just sitting on the substrate or the hide. Few of my Brachypelma slings are also hanging from the walls from time to time, so I have finally given up worrying that too much. They're tarantulas - Sometimes they just so "weird" stuff. I mean, in the wild no one is telling them that they can't sit vertically on things.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hamorii's climb...they're spiders. That's what they do. ;)
Theres no rules in the spider world saying terrestrial spiders cant climb. I have found A. Chalcodes in trees and on roofs before. Hobbyists have made the rules of climbing for terrestrial spiders. However it is a good idea to minimize injury to your pet and make sure they dont have far to fall.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
How often do these guys eat anyway? I don't think it has the dramatic feeding response like a Pamphobeteous or Lasiodora does.

I'm aware that these are very long lived and grow slowly, which is great especially if it turns out to be male after all. I really doubt that however. Still, only a good molted skin can tell for sure.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
How often do these guys eat anyway? I don't think it has the dramatic feeding response like a Pamphobeteous or Lasiodora does.

I'm aware that these are very long lived and grow slowly, which is great especially if it turns out to be male after all. I really doubt that however. Still, only a good molted skin can tell for sure.
They aren't the best eaters in my experience with my big female, but when she eats, there is no such thing as a 2nd chance (for the superworm that is)

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

I feed them every 2-3 weeks

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'll try in a few days. She attacked the waterdish in a half hearted way when I hoped it off.

She seems to be settling in, doesn't run for cover when you walk by the cage.

Greg

3 Year Member
My juvie A. geniculata hung out on the side glass for a day or so when it was rehoused. I was concerned, but it came down when it was ready. My G. pulcrhripes sling, after staying underground for two months, came out and stayed up at the top of the enclosure in the air vents for days, and later came down. This also followed a rehousing. As they say, correlation does not imply causation. Maybe they just needed to stretch their legs and get a different view.