• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Weight on lid to prevent escape?

CRosemond

3 Year Member
Just got a free tarantula with a 10 gallon glass tank and metal screen lid that weights approximately 1 pound. Do I need to weight the lid to prevent escape?

Thanks

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
what kind of tarantula? Unless it's an arboreal sp, you shouldn't need to weigh it down, but a couple locks won't hurt.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have the same type of tank/lid (no spider in it yet though). I know, at least in my case, the lid doesn't really fit 'tight', so I will definitely be looking at attaching some type of locking mechanism, weighing it down or just getting a whole new lid altogether. I don't trust it enough to leave it as is.

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I had a scare yesterday with my large Rosie. She is in a large KK, and I had forgotten on fasten the little plastic door back the other day when I fed her, I was sitting here and kept hearing an intermittent tapping noise....I finally looked over and she was on top of her hide and was able to push the door up just enough to make a tap when she released it. I don't think she could have escaped, but the door is securely fastened with a weight on top.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So...I spoke too soon. We now will have a T in our tank. It probably is too heavy for her to lift and escape, but probably not so heavy she couldn't get a leg through...so I'm going to play by the 'better safe than sorry' rule and make sure to keep it weighted down on both ends until I can find a better fitting topper or make a custom lid for it.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I had a scare yesterday with my large Rosie. She is in a large KK, and I had forgotten on fasten the little plastic door back the other day when I fed her, I was sitting here and kept hearing an intermittent tapping noise....I finally looked over and she was on top of her hide and was able to push the door up just enough to make a tap when she released it. I don't think she could have escaped, but the door is securely fastened with a weight on top.
Glad she didn't make a run for it :)

Richard Ray

3 Year Member
IMO this on a tank enclosure would work best, it's what I use for my snakes.

Attachments

• zillasmclips.jpg
    zillasmclips.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 131

Sabeth

3 Year Member
If it's not fastened already to the tank (for example, with clips), then I'd definitely put something on top, like a heavy book.

Kurt Nelson

3 Year Member
My Avic has never even attempted to push up the mesh, but I'm changing his tank soon so that it's upright with a plexiglass front. I was more worried about my LP when I first got her. I had a full bottle of Jack Daniels on top weighing a good 5-8 lbs which made me feel a little safer, but now the terrarium has a lid that locks so yay :) But if you're that worried about it, locks!

Latest posts