• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Webbing herself in?

shatteredpast7

My AZ blonde has created a very thin webbing over her coconut entrance. I am wondering is this means anything? Is she too cold? Is she sick? About to molt? Idk. It's not a heavy web but it's enough to where if she comes out it would break. I cannot even capture the web on camera. Her enclosure has not been changed in anyway. The only thing she did recently is have 2 superworms because i ran out of crickets. It was her first meal with me.

Poppy2020

3 Year Member
I have a juvie A. chalcodes and they made a dirt curtain in front of their hide like two months ago. I can see him/her when I look under the enclosure— just hanging out being a spider. I think this is common for this species? I’ve found info on it anyway. Sort of a hibernation mode. I know they will web an entrance too if they’re getting ready to molt.

timc

3 Year Member
Don’t be in any hurry to see that spider either. I have a 3/4 inch sling that’s been in premolt since August and I wouldn’t be surprised if it still is by this coming August lol

shatteredpast7

Best pic i could get. Its hard to see the webbing so i circled it. She has been in for a week now. Would there be any changes in her appearance before molt? She is a dark color aren't they usually light in color before? I know nothing.
IMG_20210223_133858__01.jpg

Poppy2020

3 Year Member
Best pic i could get. Its hard to see the webbing so i circled it. She has been in for a week now. Would there be any changes in her appearance before molt? She is a dark color aren't they usually light in color before? I know nothing.View attachment 54080
Yes, their bums will turn dark and get shiny in premolt. Overall color will be dull and legs will thin out a bit. That looks like normal ‘do not disturb’ web lining to me. A. chalcodes are notorious for long periods of fasting too. I wouldn’t worry.