• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Webbing and happiness?

Eightleggedchris

3 Year Member
Hi guys.

I'm back with another question, is there a link between the amount of webbing and the happiness of the tarantula? I know that not all species are prolific webers, for example i bought an orange starburst baboon sling and pink toe juvenile at the same time, the baboon has webbed a fair bit and moulted once, the pink toe has done none of those things, just sits on the cork bark I've placed in the enclosure. I think shes eating (i put crickets in and i can't find them the next day)

Thanks guys

Chris

Hope this question isn't a stupid one

BigTGirl93

3 Year Member
No question is a stupid one. And my juvenile pink toe is the exact same way, he is the biggest chicken and he spins a tiny web here and there, and he eats barley anything, most of the time he is sprawled out grooming himself just chillin'. And he is perfectly happy. He has never showed me any uneasy or bad behavior. And whenever I handle him he just marches up and down my arms :p. But then again, my Rosie has made a lair of webbing in her little log borrow and just crawls and gets into everything and eats like a mad hatter!!! And will charge at my tweezers whenever I am in her enclosure. I don't think she displays this behavior because she is unhappy, that is just the type of T she is. I do think that webbing can play apart of happiness, but that's not all that can contribute to it. I think T's will do what they want when they want and they will make themselves happy. I hope this makes sense, I know what I want to say but I can't word it lol.

Eightleggedchris

3 Year Member
haha i understand what you mean, it happens to me too. in my head it sounds fantastic but gets lost in translation haha. my chili is so different to yours. shes always out, doesnt web much and hardly eats, my obt sling is always hungry and has created a really cool web display

khatchet

3 Year Member
OBT are much heaver webber then pink to most the time. MY pink do does web now but when I first got her she didnt for about and month. Im almost she she only did then cuz of her up coming molt she was having. Also my OBT eats ever time i put food in there. My pink toe has been fasting 3 week to befor molt and now one after molt. So you have no worries.

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Webbing is strictly a utilitarian function. The production of proteins to produce silk require and excessive amount of energy. A tarantula is not going to expend that energy if there is not some sort of gain to its survival.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
agree with above. my avic avic only webs to molt in and no other time. My GBB on the other hand webs all over the place constantly.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My little avic webs, my big girl only webs a little as she's eating,
she acts almost as if she's wrapping it up (the happy dance) but never actually does .

micheldied

3 Year Member
No. Ts probably don't even experience happiness, at least not in the same way we do. I've had spiders kept in exactly the same conditions with different amounts of webbing and burrowing.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Avics can be very heavy webbers depending on how they are housed. They do best when not kept in enclosures that are overly-large. I feel this is true of almost all tarantulas, but it definitely applies to Avics in particular. I'm not saying that your Avic won't be "happy" if you put it in a terrarium that is slightly too large, but don't always expect to see a lot of webbing (if any) if you should choose to house them this way. Having lots of anchor points near the top also helps a lot. A.avic and A.metallica tend to be slower to start webbing, and often only do so when nearing a molt.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i dont know....no ones knows what they are thinking...ever. Maybe they can be happy, or maybe content would be a more fitting description

GummiAngo

Just random comment since i just came into the hobby, what if she spins alittle web on as she marching on you? I know shes not nervous otherwise I'd see her shoot poop at me like she did her 2nd day. Now she occasionally leaves a trail of webbing as she walks along my arm. Oh shes an avicularia juruensis
tumblr_pe14hmkXpG1uuvjoj_1280.jpg

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just random comment since i just came into the hobby, what if she spins alittle web on as she marching on you? I know shes not nervous otherwise I'd see her shoot poop at me like she did her 2nd day. Now she occasionally leaves a trail of webbing as she walks along my arm. Oh shes an avicularia juruensis
tumblr_pe14hmkXpG1uuvjoj_1280.jpg
Mine do that too. I think its just a safety/security thing. Maybe in case they have to jump? Bungee to the ground, or at least slow their fall? Just guessing.

Latest posts