• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

web question?

Leigha

3 Year Member
my Aviculara sp. has been sealed away in its web for a couple of weeks now I'm not sure if its been eating or not. any idea what its doing?

Attachments

• IMG_0516.JPG
    IMG_0516.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0517.JPG
    IMG_0517.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 27

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
About to molt. They'll do that. Just leave it alone for a while.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Understandable. I'm guessing you're new to arboreals? The fact that it made a web so soon is a good sign that it is settling in well. But yes, anytime a tarantula seals itself inside of its web/burrow, that usually means it is going to molt soon. This can last weeks for some species.

On a side note: it's perfectly normal for certain more reclusive species to stay in their hides for extended periods of time. I just saw my Ephebopus murinus out for the first time in close to 5 months.

#Angela#

3 Year Member
Hi Leigha,

One of my versis will stay in its web tube and only venture out late at night. Sometimes the only reason I know it's been out and about is I find new poop splatters on the glass!

Angela

Leigha

3 Year Member
I've had it for a while now but this is the first time its ever built a web like that.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi Leigha,

One of my versis will stay in its web tube and only venture out late at night. Sometimes the only reason I know it's been out and about is I find new poop splatters on the glass!

Angela
Oddly my Avics have pretty clean enclosures compared to my other arboreals. My Pokies and Psalmos are extremely messy. My H.maculata is the worst though. There's so much dried poo on the glass it's hard to see into the enclosure.

Leigha

3 Year Member
I have found that water on either a wash cloth or a couple of paper towels work to clean glass, if the tarantulas are tolerant that is.

#Angela#

3 Year Member
Just fed everyone and performed some spot cleaning in my versi enclosures. One of them has closed off the entrances to her web. She must have read this post! We'll see if a molt occurs in the future...