• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Floodmeister

3 Year Member
Quick question but I purchased some wax worms from Petco and they came in what looks like to be some sort of wood. Should I separate them from the wood shavings? I've looked all of the internet, and even went to the manufactures website which is Timberline, but was unable to find out just what kind of wood is used in the container.

Here's a picture of what it looks like for reference.
IMG_20171127_010453692.jpg

Floodmeister

3 Year Member
Oh I probably should have added a bit more detail. I know how to feed them. I was just wondering if I had to be worried if the wood was toxic to T's? As these are generally sold for reptiles, I wasn't sure if I should be worried about the type of wood they are housed in.

LGTARANTULAS

3 Year Member
Oh I probably should have added a bit more detail. I know how to feed them. I was just wondering if I had to be worried if the wood was toxic to T's? As these are generally sold for reptiles, I wasn't sure if I should be worried about the type of wood they are housed in.
My friend. How do you think tarantulas survive in the wild with wood around them all the time! :D Maybe I misunderstand and you're asking if feeding the waxworms wood is then bad for the tarantulas. Well, let me tell you this. You shouldn't feed wax worms to your tarantulas at all just because they have a lot of calcium. And because tarantulas don't have bone structure, when they molt, they can get stuck in the molt and die from the high calcium intake. Hope this helped out. Stick with other food in general.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Wax worms are high in calcium but crickets are a little higher.
These levels are not a problem for a T. The theory suggested that feeding a T birds and mice may lead to a problem molting due to calcium intake. A T isnt going to digest a bone to make a huge problem with calcium. I believe this was all just speculation. I'm not sure though. Im far from being a scientist or educated enough to have a opinion on this. Ive just heard discussions in many forums on this and never had anyone had a solid answer. I prefer superworms over wax worms but wax worms are fine as feeders. If you gut load your prey I would avoid calcium just in case.

Bubbles

3 Year Member
Hi....
So could i just pick up random insects and feed them to my T? Like woodlice? Maybe a beetle from the garden? Common house spiders???;)

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi....
So could i just pick up random insects and feed them to my T? Like woodlice? Maybe a beetle from the garden? Common house spiders???;)
No, that would not be a wise decision, you never know what the insects or spiders were exposed to. The chemicals they were possibly exposed to, could be fatal to the tarantula.

Mr. P

3 Year Member
Not a good idea to just go outside and collect bugs to feed your T. Most bugs and things outside have come into contact with fertilizers and insecticides which are really bad for the T to ingest. Remeber, what goes into your feeders goes into your T.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantulas have no natural immunity to North American pathogens. They are either captive bred or wild caught from other parts of the world.

It's best to stick to purposely produced feeders for pets and inverts. Roaches are probably the best bang for the buck.