• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

water dishes

DOS1392

Hey all. As a couple of you know im just getting into the hobby, amd with that im interested to see what people are using as water dishes per different size T.

I was thinking of using plastic bottle caps or milk bottle caps (uk) as water dishes. Has anyone used these/still using them?

Anyways please post some thoughts and opinions

Dan

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I use both of those in smaller enclosures. The bottle tops make a good water dish to hot glue to the side of an enclosure for arboreals too. I also use well washed & sanitised peanut butter lids, coffee lids etc of varying sizes in larger enclosures. And my stirmi has a small (3 X 6 inch) sandwich tub sunk into a corner to keep the humidity up & to allow her to have a suitable sized water dish.

I also have small glass dishes & anything else I spot in charity shops or around the house, that looks like it is a good water dish.

I have tried Exo Terra dishes, but they seem very poor at holding water.

E

ExMember

I use moss as a dish for my smallest slings. Sometimes they shred it up. Then i just dampen a corner. My bigger slings get a little bottle cap and my juvies get ink pots. My larger spiders get condiment cups. It really depends on the size of the enclosure.

PurplKush

Yes bottle caps are the best u can find anywhere. My aphonopelma seemanni loves flipping her water dishes over, I fill it back up add water and there she goes again. Lol any ideas why she does that.?

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
That's basically all I use. I've got those plastic saucers you can stand plant pots in , as they make great water dishes. Haven't needed to use them yet.
I like plastic dishes, as it's lightweight and so can be easily removed with tongs.