• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Water Dish in the Enclosure

Hi,

Can I get members advice about putting water dish in the enclosure for T's to drink it ? Some articles I read said that it's not necessary to put water dish in the enclosure as tarantulas is fine without water as long as you are able to moist the enclosure once a week and they get their water from moisting.

Some said, that Tarantulas are able to get their water from the prey that are been fed to them.

I am confused thus my question is :

1) Did T's need water and what is the best that you can do as keepers in supplying them with water adequately and will water dish serve the purpose ?

Thanks in advance my friends and appreciate your assistance to it.

Regards,

Sholihin Aziz

Mundo exotico

Hi,

Can I get members advice about putting water dish in the enclosure for T's to drink it ? Some articles I read said that it's not necessary to put water dish in the enclosure as tarantulas is fine without water as long as you are able to moist the enclosure once a week and they get their water from moisting.

Some said, that Tarantulas are able to get their water from the prey that are been fed to them.

I am confused thus my question is :

1) Did T's need water and what is the best that you can do as keepers in supplying them with water adequately and will water dish serve the purpose ?

Thanks in advance my friends and appreciate your assistance to it.

Regards,

Sholihin Aziz

Hello.
Water dish in the enclosure is very important. Ts take fluids from their prey but also drink water. Personally I almost never mist enclosures but water dish is alwaus available.
IMG_20200511_005833.jpg
IMG_20201102_153548.jpg

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Always provide a water dish, regardless of species, and make sure the dish is full with clean water.

Some Ts will fill water dishes with various matter, substrate, moss, excrement, bolluses, but your job remains unchanged. See above.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantulas do indeed need water. While a select few on social media may disagree, but a water dish is very important. Many of the reasons why have already been stated above. Misting isn’t beneficial at all, 95% of caresheets and youtube videos may recommend it, but it is a useless concept. You can get by with no water dish for slings in enclosures with no space for one, but instead of misting, which annoys the tarantula more than anything, just use something like an eye dropper to add a few drops of water to part of the substrate.

Tarantulas do indeed need water. While a select few on social media may disagree, but a water dish is very important. Many of the reasons why have already been stated above. Misting isn’t beneficial at all, 95% of caresheets and youtube videos may recommend it, but it is a useless concept. You can get by with no water dish for slings in enclosures with no space for one, but instead of misting, which annoys the tarantula more than anything, just use something like an eye dropper to add a few drops of water to part of the substrate.
Thank you friend for the valuable advice. Will immediately implement the advice.

shelbi8119

Always provide a water dish, regardless of species, and make sure the dish is full with clean water.

Some Ts will fill water dishes with various matter, substrate, moss, excrement, bolluses, but your job remains unchanged. See above.
You aren't lying... I change my A. Chalcodes water every other day cause she's always throwing substrate into it ‍♀️♀️

Blackdog

My L. Klugi basking in the water and my two new water dishes-poured resin skulls that glow in the dark

Attachments

• IMG_3725.jpeg
    IMG_3725.jpeg
    302.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3721.jpeg
    IMG_3721.jpeg
    355.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3722.jpeg
    IMG_3722.jpeg
    303.3 KB · Views: 5

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My experience with water dishes is, don't use the commercially made water dishes. They look good. But leak water, as they are not sealed properly. I use bottle & jar tops Etc. I find the tops from drink bottles, those on the plastic milk bottles, peanut butter jars & smaller coffee jars, provide all the sizes I need. Plus, if a T is prone to moving water dishes around. I just add a second & a couple have 3.

I gave all of my commercially made water dishes away last year. After getting fed up with having to top them up too often.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It is important to supply a tarantula with a water dish at all times. One of the main reasons is that when a tarantula is in premolt, they usually stop hunting to reserve their energy for the molting process. This being said, they are no longer getting their fluids from their food. They need the water dish so that they can replace the fluid from food intake.

Latest posts