• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Water dish ideas

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm running out of condiment cups so i was looking online for ideas to use for water dishes as my T's get larger.

I've found these that i really like - https://www.amazon.com/Straight-Sid...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=7VJ6YPJCV6V6VG1X54CG

2oz makeup type jar, they're glass so they should be heavy enough they can't easily move them. No sharp edges so that's a plus also. Only con i can see is they're glass so they may be heavy enough to squish one if it tried to flip it and something happened.
upload_2017-2-10_15-37-54.png

12 pack for $15.99. I might buy 2 sets, i can use them for other hobbies when the T's out grow them.

I blame The Spiderman on youtube for this ;) i was watching some of his vids and he had similar glass water dishes he got from the BTS in his avic enclosure.

That got me thinking what cool semi cheap water dishes are we using out there?

Evanthomas

3 Year Member
I will use anything convenient and clean for a water dish. For adult T's my favorite "freebie" water dish is a lid from a peanut butter jar. Those look like a great price for actual glass containers.

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
For my tiny slings anything under one inch I use 9mm ink cups ment for tattooing. You can get these in larger then 9mm but I cant recall how big. For Ts 1" up to 1.5-2" (since thats the biggest i have) i use water bottle caps. For my aboreals ill go a step futher and custom a dish holder and place water bottle cap in the holder.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i have a pop bottle lid or similar in almost all of our enclosures. the exceptions are Redrum, she has an oversized kidney bean shaped water dish i got in a pinch. her dish was leaking and causing mold to grow down the side of the enclosure. ran to the lps and grabbed the smallest dish they had. Scooter, (B. smithi), Emilia (B. emilia), Satin (G. pulchra), Roj (B. sabulosum), and Moe (B. albo) all have 2 oz condiment cups for water dishes. I like those, they're cheap, but they're also flimsy. I've had to replace Moe's a few times as he tears it apart trying to move it around.

Plus, the roaches won't be able to climb the sides of these glass ones, so i wont' have to fill them with aquarium gravel and then i won't have to fill the dishes as often ;)

Pasodama

3 Year Member
Those 2 oz. glass jars are nice.
Probably not easily tipped over, either, (if not sunk into substrate) which is another plus.

I use various things but I got to thinking about something else, which I use for hatchling colubrids, and have not seen mentioned (in this, & some other, thread/s).
It, too, could be used as T water bowls.

That would be plastic (hard plastic) tealight candle holders. They come in clear and colored.
'Course, they can be purchased, in glass, but price goes way up from these little hard plastic ones.
I purchase them, in bulk, and price is pretty good.
Come to think of it, I believe I am running low and it's probably time to order another box of them.