• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Water Dish Drying Out

Phototoxin

Here in Potatoland we're going though a bit of a heat wave (24-26C), I know that's nothing unusual for some places however I've noticed that my 3 enclosures water dishes (a milk bottle lid approx 1.5inch diameter) keeps drying out although there is evident condensation/humidity. I always believe no animal should be without water but at the same time I'm concerned that refilling it multiple (3-5) times a day is excessive. Several times I've noticed my Ts sitting in or touching the water dishes which to me is usually a sign that the T wants a drink.

Am I right to keep it topped up even though there is condensation in the enclosures? Or should I stick to 1/day?

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
You should be fine watering once a day or maybe even less. I don't know the size of your tarantulas, mine are about 2-3 inches and don't drink enough to warrant adding water that frequently. They do get hydration from the foods they eat too so I would not worry.

Most of the water must be evaporating.
One of my enclosures has quite a bit of side venting and the water evaporates in about 1-1/2 days. I refill her dish about 2-3 days. The substrate Is quite dry but my G. pulchripes is healthy. Some species do require more humidity.

I live in Maine, USA and temperatures have ranged in recent weeks from 24 C to 32 C (75-90 F) during the day. Right now the temp by my enclosures is about 26.5 C (80F) two of my Ts are out. One I can see in her cave and the fourth has closed both entrances.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Any substrate or webbing around the edges of the water dish? That could be sucking it up to the surrounding soil. You can also change to deeper dishes.
I did not think of that. Good suggestions. In my case, it is one of the more shallower ones. I may try to replace it, at least it might tell me if it is the housing, a Zilla micro habitat - the one you put together.

Phototoxin

You should be fine watering once a day or maybe even less. I don't know the size of your tarantulas, mine are about 2-3 inches and don't drink enough to warrant adding water that frequently. They do get hydration from the foods they eat too so I would not worry.

Most of the water must be evaporating.
One of my enclosures has quite a bit of side venting and the water evaporates in about 1-1/2 days. I refill her dish about 2-3 days. The substrate Is quite dry but my G. pulchripes is healthy. Some species do require more humidity.

I live in Maine, USA and temperatures have ranged in recent weeks from 24 C to 32 C (75-90 F) during the day. Right now the temp by my enclosures is about 26.5 C (80F) two of my Ts are out. One I can see in her cave and the fourth has closed both entrances.
They are plump fresh and active so not looking dishevelled by any means, a lot of it is clearly evaporating/condensing so I guess they are hydrated enough. Thank you!

Latest posts