• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Was pretty sure she was a girl but I’m a bit worried…

setsunadiava

I bought my Acanthoscurria geniculata as a sexed female, I got the parts in a tiny tube as proof too, but she’s begun to pace about her enclosure every now and then, she’s still 90% of the time, destroying her enclosure 5% of the time and recently just pacing the rest of the time. Spider shop guy says she’s restless because of the changing season but I’m beginning to get a bit concerned.

Attachments

• 8D4A98DA-48C3-46EB-8454-88CBC36C1D55.jpeg
    8D4A98DA-48C3-46EB-8454-88CBC36C1D55.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18
  • 38CC2904-E82D-40F4-BE33-C52F7E7F810D.jpeg
    38CC2904-E82D-40F4-BE33-C52F7E7F810D.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
  • D88A34F0-4688-46CE-A97D-A7514BA6E332.jpeg
    D88A34F0-4688-46CE-A97D-A7514BA6E332.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
  • 2BD33661-07CE-4128-BE2F-99423406B146.jpeg
    2BD33661-07CE-4128-BE2F-99423406B146.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21

setsunadiava

Looks like a female to me, I can see the flap on the molt. And while its not the most accurate way to sex, the ventral slit looks nice and straight.
Tarantulas all behave differently. Some of mine hide for months, some move around all the time.
Thank you for getting back to me! I’ve been literally eyeing my girl suspiciously as I write lesson plans

SullivanC

If you rehoused her recently maybe she is just getting used to new home or you have a tarantula that is very active :) she looks to be female yes :) Its okay if she walks around very often, some tarantulas like to be active so if she drinks water she will be fine, just give her some time to get used to her home and you can start feeding

setsunadiava

thank you
If you rehoused her recently maybe she is just getting used to new home or you have a tarantula that is very active :) she looks to be female yes :) Its okay if she walks around very often, some tarantulas like to be active so if she drinks water she will be fine, just give her some time to get used to her home and you can start feeding
Thank you for taking the time to get back to me! She’s been in there for about four months now. She’s always been super destructive and active and drinks a lot of water. And sometimes just kinda passes out by the water dish. But the climbing the walls and sticking her fangs out of the critter keeper is new. :)

SullivanC

thank you

Thank you for taking the time to get back to me! She’s been in there for about four months now. She’s always been super destructive and active and drinks a lot of water. And sometimes just kinda passes out by the water dish. But the climbing the walls and sticking her fangs out of the critter keeper is new. :)
If four months passed by but she still is very active then its probably just her personality yeah :) but her drinking water is really good sign, she poops too right? Climbing to wall and biting ventilation hole with the fang seems to be common thing everyone gets because I have lasiodora parahybana she does that alot too, I sometimes wake up to her bite sounds she loves biting it for some reason

setsunadiava

If four months passed by but she still is very active then its probably just her personality yeah :) but her drinking water is really good sign, she poops too right? Climbing to wall and biting ventilation hole with the fang seems to be common thing everyone gets because I have lasiodora parahybana she does that alot too, I sometimes wake up to her bite sounds she loves biting it for some reason
I’ve never seen her pooping but I have found the white stuff everywhere in her enclosure. Usually near the water dish. The biting had me a bit worried. Then her booty had me thinking she was impacted, so I spent so long staring and recording her booty, it was clean and couldn’t see any kind of blockage. But I’d feel so much better if I could catch her pooping. Waking up the to biting sounds was a bit scary lol.

SullivanC

I’ve never seen her pooping but I have found the white stuff everywhere in her enclosure. Usually near the water dish. The biting had me a bit worried. Then her booty had me thinking she was impacted, so I spent so long staring and recording her booty, it was clean and couldn’t see any kind of blockage. But I’d feel so much better if I could catch her pooping. Waking up the to biting sounds was a bit scary lol.
I think that white stuff you found near water dish is probably the poop because alot of spiders like to poop inside of their water dish or near their water dish :) yeah impaction is horrible thing because there are many people that tried to cure impaction by cleaning the spider's abdomen where they poop but unfortunately that didnt work out like they hoped.. if spider eats and drink she or he probably wouldnt have impaction problem because the only time they seem to not eat at all is if they have impaction

x_raphael_xx

I think that white stuff you found near water dish is probably the poop because alot of spiders like to poop inside of their water dish or near their water dish :) yeah impaction is horrible thing because there are many people that tried to cure impaction by cleaning the spider's abdomen where they poop but unfortunately that didnt work out like they hoped.. if spider eats and drink she or he probably wouldnt have impaction problem because the only time they seem to not eat at all is if they have impaction
The problem with impaction, is that by the time you suspect it, its usually too late to effectively help.

SullivanC

The problem with impaction, is that by the time you suspect it, its usually too late to effectively help.
Yeah that's true, in most times its not even possible to cure impaction so all you can do is just hope he or she doesnt have it. Did you ever deal with impaction before?
I’ve seen all the others in action, just pooping where they please, this girl is a bit more secretive
Yes all tarantulas have their own personality even if you have 2 tarantulas from exact same species its very likely that both will have different temperament and different personality

x_raphael_xx

Yeah that's true, in most times its not even possible to cure impaction so all you can do is just hope he or she doesnt have it. Did you ever deal with impaction before?
Possibly, I had a p.rufus who had a weird lopsided butt. One side thin, the other rounded. She also had mites that I managed to clear up, I thought she was getting better, but then she died.
Because of her weird abdomen I suspect impaction, she never ate with me in the 5 months I had her.

Heres my thread on it https://tarantulaforum.com/threads/tarantula-mouth-covered-in-mites.32306/

SullivanC

Latest posts