• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Wanting to add to my collection

Nickibossio

3 Year Member
I have a rose hair, golden knee and pink toe so far but i am looking to expand and get a few more tarantulas i was looking into curly hairs and desert blondes but i wanted some opinions on some other good beginner friendly tarantulas

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
Brachypelma's are great. My vagans has excellent feeding responses with a good growth rate
My auratum was a skittish hair kicking machine untill it hit around the 3.5" mark. Now its the most beautiful rock I own ;). I don't have an albopilosum yet but they are on the wish list. If you want something a little feistier than your current T's check out Cyclosternum fasciatum. Beautiful smaller T, little on the quick/skittish side. But are heavy webbers with a great appetite. Bite is said to be painful but not significantly

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Any Brachypelma
Euathlus sp. Red (Chilean Flame): Quite small, but meant to be very docile and tolerant to handling
Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens (Green Bottle Blue): Skittish, great webber and one of the most beautiful Ts out there

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Any Brachypelma
Euathlus sp. Red (Chilean Flame): Quite small, but meant to be very docile and tolerant to handling
Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens (Green Bottle Blue): Skittish, great webber and one of the most beautiful Ts out there

+1 on both Euathlus sp. red and C. Cyaneopubescens. Euathlus sp. reds are such a wonderful "beginner" species, and their curious and gentle natures are just adorable. GBBs are hearty, gorgeous, and a good stepping stone to some of the more active and faster species.

And, of course, you can't go wrong with any Brachypelma. :)

LauraMI

3 Year Member
Love the Brachypelmas! Have a vagans who's my favorite tarantula, but also have the B. emelia, baumgarteni, & boehmi on my short list. Also agree with the GBB, but look into the M. balfouri; if you like the coloring on a Siamese cat, you'll love this T. Of course, an Avic of any kind...
Join Its All Arachnids on FB; you'll have a wealth of ideas to research from the group-members pics.

2G33K4U

3 Year Member
Brachypelma's are great. My vagans has excellent feeding responses with a good growth rate
My auratum was a skittish hair kicking machine untill it hit around the 3.5" mark. Now its the most beautiful rock I own ;). I don't have an albopilosum yet but they are on the wish list. If you want something a little feistier than your current T's check out Cyclosternum fasciatum. Beautiful smaller T, little on the quick/skittish side. But are heavy webbers with a great appetite. Bite is said to be painful but not significantly

I have a few Vagans they do have great feeding response. great coloring. and once they get past sling size they tend to stay out in open at least the 3 I have do.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
i would perfer i think the larger more "gentle giant" type of T's i think thank you for all the great suggestions :D

How about a Grammostola pulchra? A gorgeous, large (up to 8"), black T known for normally having a gentle disposition. They're slow growers, but even the males live a long time.

Then, of course, you could always consider a Lasiodora parahybana. Fast growers, skittish but not aggressive, and large (they can supposedly reach 10").

Last edited:

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
I have a few Vagans they do have great feeding response. great coloring. and once they get past sling size they tend to stay out in open at least the 3 I have do.

Same with mine. They tunneled their little hearts out and were very reclusive untill around 2.75" they've been out in the open other than the day or 2 before a molt ever since

katiekatelyn

3 Year Member
I paid five bucks for my two. Charlotte is the one I'm most fascinated by, and I love comparing her to Scarlett because they're so different from each other, they're the same size so it's like they're twins. ;)

Latest posts