• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Vietnamese Black Birdeater?

nightbane1313

My daughter bought this T from a pet store that told her that he was a Thai Tiger, and afterward apologized and said he was a Vietnamese black birdeater. He is quite mean, which is indicative of the Haplopelma genus. I would like to know precisely what she has, so she can properly care for him and set him up in the correct habitat.
received_373872506817278.jpeg
received_373872506817278.jpeg
received_353549618679732.jpeg
received_2240321862756018.jpeg

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
looks like a cyriopagopoeus minax to me? I'm not 100% sure
they need a think layer of humid substrate to establish a burrow,of course some cork bark,moss and plants are good in the enclosure...
they tend to spend most of there time in there burrow in which they make heavy webbing in the entrance to...hope this helps:)

nightbane1313

looks like a cyriopagopoeus minax to me? I'm not 100% sure
they need a think layer of humid substrate to establish a burrow,of course some cork bark,moss and plants are good in the enclosure...
they tend to spend most of there time in there burrow in which they make heavy webbing in the entrance to...hope this helps:)
I've told her that he/she needs deep, damp substrate to burrow in. She has moss in the enclosure, but wants to get some coconut coir as well.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@nightbane1313 I've been in the hobby close to 40 years and I would never let my daughter have this spider she purchased. Infact the pet shop could be held responsible selling it to her if shes a minor. I have a 19 year old daughter that was raised with tarantulas and your tarantula is even too nasty for her. Honestly you should take it back.

nedaK

My dad got a Thai tiger as his first T but it was a calm individual. It died of an unknown disease in about a month I think, I can’t remember.

nightbane1313

@nightbane1313 I've been in the hobby close to 40 years and I would never let my daughter have this spider she purchased. Infact the pet shop could be held responsible selling it to her if shes a minor. I have a 19 year old daughter that was raised with tarantulas and your tarantula is even too nasty for her. Honestly you should take it back.
She is in California with her biological mother, currently. She is 18, so not a minor. Apparently, the pet shop didn't know what they had or what to do with it. She said the guy didn't know anything about spiders. Sad part is, is that it's common. I am nowhere close to her, though. I'm east US, so she's 2000 mi from me. I can only give her advice. Thank you for your insight and your honest words. I'm not sure what she'll do, but I hope she's smart about it.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
She is in California with her biological mother, currently. She is 18, so not a minor. Apparently, the pet shop didn't know what they had or what to do with it. She said the guy didn't know anything about spiders. Sad part is, is that it's common. I am nowhere close to her, though. I'm east US, so she's 2000 mi from me. I can only give her advice. Thank you for your insight and your honest words. I'm not sure what she'll do, but I hope she's smart about it.
She should put a ad in the classifieds in this forum. I'm sure a member here from California would trade her for something more pleasant. @Tortoise Tom

Latest posts