• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Very strange black bumps that almost look like claws on abdomens of all my arid species

Pearl Dusenbery

3 Year Member
I have G. Pulchra, G. Porteri and B. Smithi that all have the same strange bumps on the abdomen. Pulchra is about a week and a half post molt, porteri doesn't seem to b close to a molt, just got it so idk last molt and smithi appears to b premolt, just got it but it hasn't eaten at all in my care.

I have searched everywhere and came up empty handed. On the smithi, I think it looks like claws or hooks but the pic quality isn't good enough for me to figure it out. Please help!!!!
IMG_0871.JPG

Grammostola Porteri
IMG_0888.JPG

Brachypelma smithi
image.jpg

Grammostola pulchra Below is the same T about 30 minutes earlier.
IMG_0887.JPG

Can someone please tell me what the heck is going on?

Last edited:

Evanthomas

3 Year Member
Hey Pearl, I'm looking at the pictures and I'm no sure if it's the pictures or my eyes but I can't really tell what I'm looking for. What you may be seeing is the urticating hairs clumping up on the top of the abdomen? I have seen this happen on my adult G. porteri female.

Pearl Dusenbery

3 Year Member
Hey Pearl, I'm looking at the pictures and I'm no sure if it's the pictures or my eyes but I can't really tell what I'm looking for. What you may be seeing is the urticating hairs clumping up on the top of the abdomen? I have seen this happen on my adult G. porteri female.

It is the urticating hairs. I have been having a lot of problems with my eyes lately where everything goes blurry and my vision jumps which makes things look like they're moving or it distorts them. When I had a moment of clear vision I looked at the pics again. I have an appointment with the eye dr next week so hopefully all will b good. Lol.
What mostly had me concerned was the last pic I posted because she was walking funny keeping her back legs over her rump and that spot on the side that looks like a bump but she seems to have come out of it. I figure it's likely because of stress I had just moved them into my new T room. They r all doing great now that the room is kept at a controlled temp but I am having trouble keeping the humidity down.

Pasodama

3 Year Member
Glad all seems well.:)
The humidity, is it that you have high humidity, in your area/home, or is it just in the enclosures themselves?

Pearl Dusenbery

3 Year Member
Glad all seems well.:)
The humidity, is it that you have high humidity, in your area/home, or is it just in the enclosures themselves?

Just in the enclosures. Even the ones that r dry except the very bottom says 99% humidity. I don't get it and it says that with all 4 of my gauges

Pasodama

3 Year Member
That's odd if most of the substrate is dry.
Maybe there is more moisture than it seems(?). Like only the very top, of the substrate, actually being dry(?).
Regardless, you may have to create better/more ventilation.
Good cross ventilation will help with having lesser humidity &/or not having "stuffy" environments.

Something else you could try, if better/more ventilation doesn't do the trick, is changing out the substrate. Making sure that at least the top 2 thirds, of the added substrate, is actually dry (for Ts who do not require that much moisture or a rather humid climate).
Before adding the substrate, you can either set it out to dry naturally or you can stick it in the oven to dry.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just in the enclosures. Even the ones that r dry except the very bottom says 99% humidity. I don't get it and it says that with all 4 of my gauges

I threw my gauges away, the only ones i use now are hygrometers for the whole room to keep an eye on so my son doesn't get nose bleeds.

For slings that size i give them moist substrate, eco earth coco fiber and peat moss mixed, moist enough when you squeeze it, it will hold shape but no liquid drips out. Also a pop bottle cap for a water dish and I keep the room temp 75-79 in the winter, 77-82 in the summer.

Latest posts