• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Versicolor Making Web, But Not Using It After Molt?

Isilwen

3 Year Member
What would cause a versicolor sling not to use its web after molting?

I have had it for going on three weeks and it molted last Monday. Since the night after it molted it has been out of its web and just on the side of the enclosure underneath the ledge that has its water dish. I put a small pre-killed cricket in there for it to eat in its web yesterday. It has neither touched it or really moved at all to even go to its web.

After my last versicolor sling died, I am a little more worried about this one since I got it, and it is starting to do the same things like the one that died.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
They often don't eat immediately after molting and most keepers wait a minimum of a week before even offering food to ensure the Ts fangs have sufficiently hardened.

It's not unusual for avics to abandon or wreck webbing after a molt or anytime, just because. Just keep providing clean water and let your little guy do what it is going to do.

Isilwen

3 Year Member
They often don't eat immediately after molting and most keepers wait a minimum of a week before even offering food to ensure the Ts fangs have sufficiently hardened.

It's not unusual for avics to abandon or wreck webbing after a molt or anytime, just because. Just keep providing clean water and let your little guy do what it is going to do.

I am just worried since I recently lost a Versicolor sling and it too was staying away from its web and not eating. It died three weeks after molting.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I am just worried since I recently lost a Versicolor sling and it too was staying away from its web and not eating. It died three weeks after molting.
Pics of T and enclosure?

Cross ventilation is pretty key for avics...

Isilwen

3 Year Member
There are 360 holes spread across the two sides and back, plus two rows of 14 holes on the top.

20210221_125720.jpg

I will add a better picture of the sling here in a moment.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I would add more foliage higher, think arboreal, so the T can hide high above the ground.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Not able to get a good picture of the sling.
How large is it?

In my experience avics feel most comfortable webbing the top of the enclosures, so top opening boxes are not ideal...

Here are samples of what I keep really tiny and small avics in
PXL_20210207_152430704.MP.jpg

Here is what a juvenile avic enclosure looks like all webbed up.

#4 threatening roach.jpg

These are inverted deli cups ala Tom Moran's DIT avic enclosure video.

I've done the same with amac boxes and gallon jugs
IMG_20200422_090846.jpg

Isilwen

3 Year Member
How large is it?

In my experience avics feel most comfortable webbing the top of the enclosures, so top opening boxes are not ideal...

Here are samples of what I keep really tiny and small avics in
View attachment 54005

Here is what a juvenile avic enclosure looks like all webbed up.

View attachment 54006

These are inverted deli cups ala Tom Moran's DIT avic enclosure video.

I've done the same with amac boxes and gallon jugs
View attachment 54007

I am not good at judging size, but when it was shipped to me it was 1/2 an inch. It molted, so a little larger than that?

I have been told that my enclosure is perfect before by others. Not wanting to make another change other than maybe adding more foliage to the top.

timc

3 Year Member
I have a juruensis that got rehoused, molted a few weeks later, tore that web up and picked a whole new spot a few weeks later. Do I know why it did this? No, not really except that it’s a tarantula doing tarantula things. It’s just some of the funny stuff they do. Like @octanejunkie said, wait a week at least before trying to feed, keep fresh water available and you’ll have done all you can do. I don’t see anything wrong with your enclosure, just might be concerned it’s too big because I can’t see the size of the spider. Lastly, it really does suck to lose a sling, especially when there isn’t an obvious reason that can be corrected. Unfortunately it’s part of this hobby and good for you for getting back on the horse. Just try not to worry too much and good luck. I’m sure it’ll all be fine.

Latest posts