• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Urticating Hairs

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hey everybody...I have had my first notable experience with urticating hairs. My GBB just molted and I was handling the molt checking sex and holding it and measuring the molt. (5 and a half in. by the way) and I got hairs down between my fingers. They have been driving me nuts for 2 days...lol now on the 3rd day the itching and burning is starting to let up. Am I ultra sensitive or what?

Just looking for some input.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hey everybody...I have had my first notable experience with urticating hairs. My GBB just molted and I was handling the molt checking sex and holding it and measuring the molt. (5 and a half in. by the way) and I got hairs down between my fingers. They have been driving me nuts for 2 days...lol now on the 3rd day the itching and burning is starting to let up. Am I ultra sensitive or what?

Just looking for some input.
I found GBB hairs quite irritating as well (I first noticed when I was working with the first molt I ever got from my late female GBB), I stick my hands in hot water, usually when I am adjusting the water for a shower (I find it to be soothing when the stream of hot water hits the irritated area).

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
There's a first time for everything :). The skin between your fingers is quite sensitive and any hairs would be trapped so I can understand the irritation.
When I was a kid if we got a splinter of wood in our skin we used to put a piece of the old fashioned stretchy Elastoplast over and leave it for half a day. It would draw the splinter out and it would stick to the adhesive so when the plaster was removed, splinter was gone. I have often wondered if it would work on urticating hairs in the same way.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Between the fingers sounds painful and annoying. Hope you are feeling better and got them out by now :)
It started out with a little pain, but mostly annoying. They r just itchy now....still though. It feels like I have poison ivy between my fingers, 5 days later. I had no idea it would last this long.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think I'm overly sensitive. Insulation bugs the hell out of me, but these GBB hairs drive me nuts on and off. For the last week. I was just a little bit surprised....live and learn. Gloves next time.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think I'm overly sensitive. Insulation bugs the hell out of me, but these GBB hairs drive me nuts on and off. For the last week. I was just a little bit surprised....live and learn. Gloves next time.
The only hairs that were kind of bad, for me, and lasted a few days, were T stirmi..those made me take notice. But yeah, its just that particular people are more sensitive to them, I think. I inhaled a poofball my genic kicked at me once..it really opens the sinuses, lol.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The only hairs that were kind of bad, for me, and lasted a few days, were T stirmi..those made me take notice. But yeah, its just that particular people are more sensitive to them, I think. I inhaled a poofball my genic kicked at me once..it really opens the sinuses, lol.
OPENS the sinuses? I'll just do a line of horseradish there Waylon! Thanks. lmao

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I wonder if bikini wax used by the ladies applied to the affected areas would effectively remove them? It does work on fiberglass penetration. That's a trick one learns when working construction!!

Of course, it rips of everything else out resulting in severe short term pain but that subsides and removes the fiberglass.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Rubber gloves, baby powder and dust mask when I rehouse or change my Stirmis substrate. Never have a problem....and I have alot of stirmi's. The baby powder blocks your pores...a trick I learned when I worked in the fiberglass industry. To relieve the pain from the hairs first use duct tape over the area to try to remove them. Then wash with cold water...hot water opens your pores. Repeat with tape if necessary.