• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Urticating hair types

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Nice find. It looks like the person who wrote that article actually knew what they were talking about too lol. I only say this because I find Wikipedia to be very hit or miss when it comes to the overall accuracy of certain articles.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@Chubbs I find there is a lot of very good info on there but, yes, it depends on who writes the stuff and you have to be careful

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
Nice finds!!! LUCKILY, I'm not bothered too much by urticating hairs. My stirmi throws them at me regularly, and other than light itching on my neck, nothing else. My arms and hands never itch. I still wouldn't wanna get any in my eyes, but all in all, lucky me!!

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So far the T's we have only throw hairs at me lol. They've never once thrown hair at my son. I rehoused Marley in a smaller enclosure today with a fake plant so he can web better and he threw hairs at me when i gently guided him into the catch cup. The b. ablo threw hairs at me guiding him into the catch cup to place him in his new home tonight also.

is it just me? lol or do they not like being guided with a soft small makeup brush?

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So far the T's we have only throw hairs at me lol. They've never once thrown hair at my son. I rehoused Marley in a smaller enclosure today with a fake plant so he can web better and he threw hairs at me when i gently guided him into the catch cup. The b. ablo threw hairs at me guiding him into the catch cup to place him in his new home tonight also.

is it just me? lol or do they not like being guided with a soft small makeup brush?

A paint brush is probably one of the best tools you could use to guide them in. They tend to be less spooked by it than using tongs for example. Comes in handy when dealing with really fast and/or skittish ones.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A paint brush is probably one of the best tools you could use to guide them in. They tend to be less spooked by it than using tongs for example. Comes in handy when dealing with really fast and/or skittish ones.
That's what i'd read. Makeup brushes are softer than paint brushes usually, unless you spend good money on the brush. We got a pro set of mixed size makeup brushes for under $10 on amazon. Figured they'd be good to use.

They must just not like me :)

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Nice info you got there. I only got to deal with hairs once and it was not from the T firsthand like a flick or something. I got them from the table where I was working on a rehouse. My elbows itched for awhile.

Latest posts