• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Urgent! Help with jumping spider slings?

Allycat

3 Year Member
My jumping spider has recently made an egg sac and I saw that the babies were coming out of her nest, the mother isn't anywhere to be seen (I don't keep her in an enclosure) and I don't know what to feed the slings. I'm terrible with making fruit fly cultures and can't get the proper supplies. I've read that you can kill a cricket and put it in there with them and they'll eat it together, is this true? And about what age do they start eating? Any more help and tips with these babies is appreciated, this is my first attempt at raising jumping spiders

Allycat

3 Year Member
Can you get hold of pinhead/micro crickets? That's what I fed my P. regius babies. If they're loose then they will probably hunt their own food.
This might help http://www.tarantulaforum.com/threads/phidippus-regius-egg-sac-now-x-3.16502/#post-105451
I have a lot of crickets but no pinheads, I may try to make a fruit fly culture with just rotting fruit (I don't care if it smells bad at this point) and I kept the egg sac on my windowsill inside my house, so the mother could get some heat and roam since she always came back to her retreat, I just hope she turns up at some point, but can the pre-killed cricket thing work?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
They do seem to be good mothers. It's always an idea to try a pre-killed cricket, it can't harm. I bought pinheads online to feed mine.

Latest posts