• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

urgent help needed

newtots

3 Year Member
i know it's not about tarantulas but i've posted on several other forums and no one is helping so please if it's not allowed then delete it. i have a asian forest scorpion and he's in trouble. every one of his legs and his one claw are all stuck in the molt... i have him in an icu but it's not helping at all. it's been 48 hours that he's been stuck. he started the night of new years eve and is still in the same spot. he is still alive and trying to get out. is there any help for him or do i just have to watch him die???

Redacted

3 Year Member
Warm, wet sphagnum bed and sides with scorp tucked in it in a container with a few holes on the side only at 82 F is what I would do. No guarantees, but an ideal situation.

newtots

3 Year Member
i've had him in an icu unit since yesterday morning with a heat lamp to create enough humidity( the heat lamp is far enough away it won't heat it too much). i checked yesterday at 7pm and he was still in the exact same spot... he quite literally is stuck. i don't know what else to do. his one claw came out yesterday but it's all bent funny, and his other claw hasn't even started to come out

newtots

3 Year Member
On the close up you can see how twisted his one claw is

Attachments

• IMG_2487.JPG
    IMG_2487.JPG
    548.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2488.JPG
    IMG_2488.JPG
    467.8 KB · Views: 13

Pearl Dusenbery

3 Year Member
i know it's not about tarantulas but i've posted on several other forums and no one is helping so please if it's not allowed then delete it. i have a asian forest scorpion and he's in trouble. every one of his legs and his one claw are all stuck in the molt... i have him in an icu but it's not helping at all. it's been 48 hours that he's been stuck. he started the night of new years eve and is still in the same spot. he is still alive and trying to get out. is there any help for him or do i just have to watch him die???

I've never had a scorpion, but I have had a T that got stuck and I jacked up the humidity while keeping the heat around 80 degrees. Someone may have already suggested that but I didn't bother to read the rest. That's a serious emergency and I wanted to help as much as I could. Hope it helps. Good luck and keep us updated.

newtots

3 Year Member
after talking to a few knowledgeable people about it, we have decided the kindest thing is to euthanize it :( because it's been almost 3 full days the new exoskeleton would have already begun to harden in the position it's in. due to the stress of having to try and walk and function as it is, it would have only lived another few days. i don't want it to suffer any more than it already has. so even though it's incredibly difficult i think it's better this way. thank you to everyone who offered help

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sorry you lost one. The icu was all you could do(and I'm not really convinced of their effectiveness) Ive heard of people "helping" to free inverts that were partially stuck, it usually didn't end well. Yours was more than partially stuck from the sound of it.

Latest posts