• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Upgraded Enclosure For My Adult Female G. pulchra

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
She's been living in a 5 gallon cube for years. I had this 10 gallon tank sitting there collecting dust, so I decided to fix it up and move her into it. Let me know what you think.
IMG_5718.JPG

IMG_5719.JPG

IMG_5724.JPG

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Gorgeous spider. I have a pulchra juvie that refuses to molt, eat or grow like a normal spider. Im fixing to go squish her!

Just raise the temps a bit and keep the water dish full. Raise the metabolism. It can be done safely but that's a different topic.

Grammys can go on fasts like Rose hairs are famous for doing. It's probably best to go go with nature but increasing metabolism can break a fast in many cases. It might stress the animal somewhat however.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
Just raise the temps a bit and keep the water dish full. Raise the metabolism. It can be done safely but that's a different topic.

Grammys can go on fasts like Rose hairs are famous for doing. It's probably best to go go with nature but increasing metabolism can break a fast in many cases. It might stress the animal somewhat however.
For many years all my tarantulas have been kept in my reptile room where the temp seldom drops below 80 and gets into the low 90s on hot summer days. I raised about a dozen Grammostola and Brachypelma at those temps and none of them ever fasted, except the normal amount during pre or post molt, and they all grew to maturity reasonably fast. I fed a steady but varied diet of roaches. My two male G. pulchra lived the normal lifespan of 5-6 years, and the big female is 10 years old and going strong. Eating like a pig after her molt. I gave all the other ones away, so I don't know if my higher temps had any long term effects on them.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
For many years all my tarantulas have been kept in my reptile room where the temp seldom drops below 80 and gets into the low 90s on hot summer days. I raised about a dozen Grammostola and Brachypelma at those temps and none of them ever fasted, except the normal amount during pre or post molt, and they all grew to maturity reasonably fast. I fed a steady but varied diet of roaches. My two male G. pulchra lived the normal lifespan of 5-6 years, and the big female is 10 years old and going strong. Eating like a pig after her molt. I gave all the other ones away, so I don't know if my higher temps had any long term effects on them.
I'd like to keep mine at 80, unfortunately they're in my bedroom lining my walls. I keep it at 72 in there. So some will just have to be long lived ;)