• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Unsure when to feed my A. Chalcodes.

Luna

3 Year Member
Hi!

So, going from my beautiful Cobalt to this species, I've noticed I can't tell when she wants to eat!

I've only found her in the 'murder time' pose once, otherwise I'm unable to really tell when she's hungry.

Anyone have any definitive signs they use? I just toss some dubias in there, but she usually leaves them untouched for several days before she devours them.

She's a butt, but she wanders and is a beautiful display T.

Just curious to learn more about her behavior! :)

Thanks!

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A. chalcodes are not the best eaters from what I gather *mine has eaten only 5-6 times since late last year. Try offering food once or twice every other week if your A. chalcodes is an adult.

KhoanScart

Yeah, mine doesn't really like to eat either. I still offer her food every week but I'm usually removing uneaten crickets after a few hours. I've never actually seen her eat but a few times I haven't been able to find the cricket I left in there with her and her abdomen isn't shrinking so I'm fairly certain she is eating if only every few months.

Tnoob

The only sign I've ever found that my spiders are hungry is that they ate. I know that doesn't help much, but it's all I've got.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The only sign I've ever found that my spiders are hungry is that they ate. I know that doesn't help much, but it's all I've got.

I'm guessing that's scientifically backed by the American tarantula society aswell? Good to know , up to this point I was oblivious.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Heres some advise from keeping desert tarantulas that fast for long periods of time. Feed them once a month. Also ditch the dubias...they tend to sit alot and not move. This creates a problem for a nearly blind spider that senses vibrations to hunt. You can injure the dubias so that they flop around...that would work better.

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi!

So, going from my beautiful Cobalt to this species, I've noticed I can't tell when she wants to eat!

I've only found her in the 'murder time' pose once, otherwise I'm unable to really tell when she's hungry.

Anyone have any definitive signs they use? I just toss some dubias in there, but she usually leaves them untouched for several days before she devours them.

She's a butt, but she wanders and is a beautiful display T.

Just curious to learn more about her behavior! :)

Thanks!
I would feed crickets. They run around much more than dubias and are easier to sense for your spider.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Wait until it's fairly near the water dish.

Then add water. If it attacks the water dish as you're filling it, wait an hour and it'll eat. That one never fails.

If they're hungry, they will begin to search the cage for food as well.

Latest posts