• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Unsure as to what my tarantula is doing and if it’s normal

lews r.a.d

Okay so, I’ve recently just acquired a tarantula known as the Borneo orange fringed. When I got it it was curled up tight not in a death curl but was relatively unresponsive with minimal movements. In spite of this I still (very luckily) made an enclosure for it and left him inside with the tissue he arrived in. I woke up yesterday expecting him to be dead but he had walked into the hide. This species from the little info I could find seems to be a burrower/heavy webbing species but for the past two days he been just free roaming the enclosure occasionally moving corner to corner. Anyone know why he hasn’t began to settle in. I gathered with two days of postage he’d be a little stressed but I didn’t expect him to not settle in like this but I’m unsure this is my first time taking care of a fossorial species. Any tips

I will show photos of his enclosure any advice whether it’s suitable would be appreciated or any further info as to his behaviour and things like that

Thankyou all
968F9234-F74D-4A33-BB94-2A7F46E64321.jpeg
1B4E23F0-EEE0-4D80-BE16-E19BB68D6805.jpeg

Kazegal

I see nothing unusual. It may take a while for a tarantula to settle into a new enclosure. Real roaming behaviour is usually seen with mature males. The picture you posted with the tarantula in it, isn't clear enough for me to make out if this could be a mature male.

In any case, mature males are usually very leggy, emboli (boxing glove like attachments) can be seen on the ends of the pedipalps and hooks can be spotted on the two front legs.

lews r.a.d

I see nothing unusual. It may take a while for a tarantula to settle into a new enclosure. Real roaming behaviour is usually seen with mature males. The picture you posted with the tarantula in it, isn't clear enough for me to make out if this could be a mature male.

In any case, mature males are usually very leggy, emboli (boxing glove like attachments) can be seen on the ends of the pedipalps and hooks can be spotted on the two front legs.
I am unsure on whether it’s a male or female yet as it hasn’t molted but I know it isn’t mature as i bought a sub adult I will try get another picture for you. As you will be able to see the tarantula is still in the same position as earliest photo but I have noticed a few silk trails indicating it’s webbing. His abdomen is reasonably small however from other research it’s been advised to not feed them or bother them in this time as they won’t see it as a suitable location. Thanks for the advice you have provided I will take it into account is there any more information you could provide with the news I’m giving. And would you say the enclosure is suitable?

many thanks
7899DB13-6ADF-434D-BAC7-25974C386B49.jpeg

lews r.a.d

Looks like it's just a bit stressed from being in a new environment. I wouldn't worry about it. Especially for fossorial species, it can take some time to settle in.
Okay thankyou! It had me worried as this as well as my C. Marshalli is the first fossorial species I’ve ever owned so I was a bit unsure as to what’s normal and what’s not. I’ve been keeping terrestrials for a while now so it felt right to switch I just didn’t see this problem arising as I’ve never had it in the past

thankyou