• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

unpacking 7 slings no fun

harrison

IMG_0264.jpg

harrison

Poeciloth
Brachypelma klaasi (Mexican Pink) 3/4" #576g 1 $69.00 $69.00
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens (Green bottle blue "GBB") 3/4" 1 $65.00 $65.00
Grammostola pulchra (Brazilian black) 3/4" #749 1 $85.00 $85.00
Megaphobema robustum (Columbian Giant Red-leg) 1 1/4-1 3/4" 1 $45.00 $45.00
Grammostola porteri (Rose hair, pink color form) 3/4" #923v
eria tigrinawesseli (Wessel's Tiger Ornamental) 2-3" #857R

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Unless you think they may have moulted in the last few days you can feed whenever you like. Some people give them a few days to settle in, some only a couple of hours. Personally I think as long as it's not immediately upon hitting the new enclosure, which may add to the stress of moving, finding suitable prey in their new home helps them settle in and think that the new enclosure is not such a bad place to live. If they shy away from the prey it's probably best to remove it and try again in a few days.
As long as their "bums" are rounded and full there's no harm in waiting but most are surprisingly eager to take prey almost immediately in my (limited) experience.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
Are you kidding with this title? Unpacking new slings is better than my best Christmas morning for me!

What a nice new bunch. Congrats!

May I ask where you got them? I'm looking for M. robustum and that seems a good price for such a large sling. Please message me if you don't want to announce it on the open forum?

sdsnybny

3 Year Member
Are you kidding with this title? Unpacking new slings is better than my best Christmas morning for me!

What a nice new bunch. Congrats!

May I ask where you got them? I'm looking for M. robustum and that seems a good price for such a large sling. Please message me if you don't want to announce it on the open forum?
Vendor name is on the sheet in the pic. ;)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Really...:D Slings are my favorite to work with. I fed all Ts as soon as I rehouse them. In 36 years ive never had a T refuse food after a rehouse unless it was in premolt. There's no need to wait, Unless owever there's a fresh molt in the shipment too.
I have a theory that rehousing/shipping spiders causes them to molt. Ive had many molt right after a rehouse, and many more right after shipping. Could be coincidence. Stress molting seems farfetched, but it nags at me..

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I have a theory that rehousing/shipping spiders causes them to molt. Ive had many molt right after a rehouse, and many more right after shipping. Could be coincidence. Stress molting seems farfetched, but it nags at me..
In the last couple of weeks I've had 20 new spiders shipped to me. My Psalmopoeus pulcher is the only one who has molted so far, and the gbb is in pre-molt. The other 18 are eating and going about their tarantula business.

I've got 14 more arriving tomorrow. We'll do some more testing of your theory. They were supposed to ship Tuesday, but one of the gbb slings molted so he held the shipment a couple of days.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Totally agree with you...I have also had Ts molt after rehousing or during shipping. I think the T realises something is going on and it needs to molt now quickly. I don't think it's stress. Actually I don't believe in "stress" in tarantulas. I think it a hobbiest term used because someone doesn't know how to take care of a T. The so called stress position is just a unhappy T in its environment. Not stress. Tarantulas are not supposed to feel emotions right??? Stress is a emotion. They don't get anything from being held...wouldnt that be an emotion??? The tanks too large it's stressed out....are all wild Ts stressed??? It's flicked all its hairs off because it's stressed...Its a defensive instinct to flick hairs however they also line their burrows with the hairs to keep predators out. Lol I can go all night on stress...sorry:p:D

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Totally agree with you...I have also had Ts molt after rehousing or during shipping. I think the T realises something is going on and it needs to molt now quickly. I don't think it's stress. Actually I don't believe in "stress" in tarantulas. I think it a hobbiest term used because someone doesn't know how to take care of a T. The so called stress position is just a unhappy T in its environment. Not stress. Tarantulas are not supposed to feel emotions right??? Stress is a emotion. They don't get anything from being held...wouldnt that be an emotion??? The tanks too large it's stressed out....are all wild Ts stressed??? It's flicked all its hairs off because it's stressed...Its a defensive instinct to flick hairs however they also line their burrows with the hairs to keep predators out. Lol I can go all night on stress...sorry:p:D
Agreed, and I could go all night on what we think we know about the invertebrate "brain". Have you read the theories? They actually know very little, if anything, about how they "think", what they "feel", emotionally or physically. They have theories, from very bright folks, no doubt..but they're educated guesses. They have pictures of invert "brains" which basically look like clusters of nerves in a ball at the center, with main branches coming out of the ball like legs..(freakin cool..) I think this hobby has become remarkably advanced, and filled with knowledgable people, amateur and professional, but we still know very little about tarantulas, other than husbandry. No matter how long we keep them, they're little aliens..which is part of the appeal to me :D

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Agreed, and I could go all night on what we think we know about the invertebrate "brain". Have you read the theories? They actually know very little, if anything, about how they "think", what they "feel", emotionally or physically. They have theories, from very bright folks, no doubt..but they're educated guesses. They have pictures of invert "brains" which basically look like clusters of nerves in a ball at the center, with main branches coming out of the ball like legs..(freakin cool..) I think this hobby has become remarkably advanced, and filled with knowledgable people, amateur and professional, but we still know very little about tarantulas, other than husbandry. No matter how long we keep them, they're little aliens..which is part of the appeal to me :D
O day and night, but this is wondrous strange!
And therefore as a stranger give it welcome.
There are more things in heaven and earth, MassExodus,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy!

Last edited: