• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Unknown tarantula

Spots

I saw a tarantula in a local reptile store marked "curly hair" for $40; it's about 3 inches, dark grey and super defensive. I knew right away that it was NOT a curly hair. It did not have the curly hairs and it was more of a dark grey fuzz. It looked like an old world T, 99% sure that its an OW T; its abdomen was a bit oval long in shape and it was buried in loose substrate.

Like I said, it was super mean and was rearing up and slapping the ground with fangs all out. It was acting like an Australian funnel web spider.

Would you buy this T even though its unknown sex and species?

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I would, as sexing it would be easy enough eventually. I obviously would buy without the intention of ever breeding it.

The only OW species with an elongated abdomen that I can think of right now is a Pterinochilus lugardi.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Did you ask the store any questions about the spider in question?
Like where and when they you it, why it's labeled as it is, and, if you can take a few pics?
What store was it?

Hard for anyone to guess meaningfully without at least a pic..

Last edited:

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I saw a tarantula in a local reptile store marked "curly hair" for $40; it's about 3 inches, dark grey and super defensive. I knew right away that it was NOT a curly hair. It did not have the curly hairs and it was more of a dark grey fuzz. It looked like an old world T, 99% sure that its an OW T; its abdomen was a bit oval long in shape and it was buried in loose substrate.

Like I said, it was super mean and was rearing up and slapping the ground with fangs all out. It was acting like an Australian funnel web spider.

Would you buy this T even though its unknown sex and species?
Sounds like my type of spider...I would of bought it on the spot! :D

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The most gentle spiders can be having a bad day. Especially in pet store where they're tormented all day by everyone.
20180512_184604.jpg

Most gentle spider in the world. Phrixotrichus (Paraphysa) scrofa

Last edited:

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The most gentle spiders can be having a bad day. Especially in pet store where they're tormented all day by everyone. View attachment 62887

I couldn't agree more. Needless to say there can also be many unknown factors affecting the T's mood. I have witnessed some of my oldest and calmest Ts suddenly and without warning starting to tap as well as some of the most defensive ones being nice and chill on some occasions.
My go to move is to give the T a few seconds to adjust when opening its enclosure, to make sure I am not surprising it, like a good neighbor visiting :)
After a few seconds and when the T shows signs it is aware of my presence, I will gently touch one of the leg with a soft paint brush, then a second one (I do this with the less defensive Ts). If the response to both contact is satisfactory, Enzo is next to do his husbandry's duties :)

Spots

I would, as sexing it would be easy enough eventually. I obviously would buy without the intention of ever breeding it.

The only OW species with an elongated abdomen that I can think of right now is a Pterinochilus lugardi.
No, it did not have any dots on the abdomen or on the carapace as far as I can remember.

Spots

Did you ask the store any questions about the spider in question?
Like where and when they you it, why it's labeled as it is, and, if you can take a few pics?
What store was it?

Hard for anyone to guess meaningfully without at least a pic..
The owner said "this is a curly hair" he had NO IDEA.

Spots

The most gentle spiders can be having a bad day. Especially in pet store where they're tormented all day by everyone. View attachment 62887

I agree, even a Brachypelma can rear-up if bothered over its limits (I have seen it with my Hamorii), but this guy was on another level of angry. This guy had all six of its eight legs up in the air!

Latest posts