• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Unhappy blue cobalt?

TaTaTula5

Hey Guys,
I'm a neurotic new T owner... I'm experienced with snakes, lizards and some invertebrates... however I am new to the arachnids!
3 days ago I got bought a female blue cobalt, the shop said roughly 4years old. She is pretty big and stunning.
However I had a set up at home, now I've read over these forums and I know I'm about to get grilled so this is the crack - I know it's not good enough for her. I will upload photo..
But she's in a plastic tank with air vents at the top ( you'll know which one I mean) and I already know she should have vents on the side for cross ventilation. Her substrate is coir block and spider vermiculite (however you spell it) at roughly 8inches deep, ( i also know this should be deeper)she has some bark and sphagnum moss in places too.hmm it isn't as 'packed in' as it should of, which I know will put her off making a burrow. I'm obsessing over the humidity but I know this is a rookie mistake, she's in a room with the other reptiles so it's a 'warm room temperature. Nice sized water dish of course. I know it's only been 3 days and she will still be stressed. But she has not moved (apart from the initial checking out perimeter, photo will be uploaded)but nowView attachment 34699 View attachment 34699 View attachment 34700 View attachment 34701 She has her legs tightly scrunched up and she's pressed into a corner. This makes me so sad. My consciounce isn't clear about her home and I'm in the process of building her a more forever home now I know exactly what her species needs... however when will be a good time to rehouse? I know it isnt good for them... and considering shes had a rough ride recently... but then I don't want her to make a burrow and web and settle when I know it isn't good enough? HELP. I want her happy.

Oh p.s her abdomen is so tiny aswell? :( the shop said she ate well a week ago.
20190114_074912.jpg
20190114_074935.jpg
20190112_230942.jpg
I'll upload a photo. But any advice is much needed please.

LC72uk

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi
Welcome to the Group.
Pretty sure that`s not a Cobolt Blue. See pic of my adult female.

Attachments

• 20180527_154017.jpg
    20180527_154017.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
  • 20180527_154328.jpg
    20180527_154328.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20

TaTaTula5

Hi
Welcome to the Group.
Pretty sure that`s not a Cobolt Blue. See pic of my adult female.

Hey! thanks, oh jeeze. You gotta be joking. It did cross my mind, just had faith in the shop. Don't know why, never normally do.
Thankyou for replying, maybe I need way more help than initially thought. Any ideas on her? I got one photo... with a slight blue tinge on legs. But she does look very different to your stunners

Attachments

• 20190112_210629.jpg
    20190112_210629.jpg
    651.1 KB · Views: 18

LC72uk

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hey! thanks, oh jeeze. You gotta be joking. It did cross my mind, just had faith in the shop. Don't know why, never normally do.
Thankyou for replying, maybe I need way more help than initially thought. Any ideas on her? I got one photo... with a slight blue tinge on legs. But she does look very different to your stunners
A slight blue on the legs indicates to me it could me a Male Cobolt. i maybe wrong . Generally you won`t see a Cobolt Blue , they are known as pet holes and spend most of their time in the burrow. What is the temperament like ?. My Girl Narr Ku (Which means angry spider in Burmese) has the most foulest temper ,she is pure evil. Member @Arachnoclown will be able to to give you a proper ID of the T.

TaTaTula5

You've been really helpful thankyou so much. It says I cannot contact that member as they are private. I'll keep trying. Thankyou again. Oh and the temperature in the room is a sturdy 23.5 C and she is placed near the other reptiles so her tank is hitting 25 degrees Celsius.

LC72uk

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You've been really helpful thankyou so much. It says I cannot contact that member as they are private. I'll keep trying. Thankyou again. Oh and the temperature in the room is a sturdy 23.5 C and she is placed near the other reptiles so her tank is hitting 25 degrees Celsius.
No worries.
Member Arachnoclown will see this thread and hopefully reply to you as will any other member on here that can give you a positive ID of you`re T.
I have had my Female for over 2 years and have only ever managed to get 5 photos of her in that time. That`s how often you see them.

TaTaTula5

No worries.
Member Arachnoclown will see this thread and hopefully reply to you as will any other member on here that can give you a positive ID of you`re T.
I have had my Female for over 2 years and have only ever managed to get 5 photos of her in that time. That`s how often you see them.

Brilliant, thankyou again for your help.. I'm glad I got a photo of him then! Just noticed it was temperament you asked not temperature.. oops, apologies. . Feisty, raised let's up once, but he is stressed I suppose.. doesn't seem like the 'very aggressive' he should be. However after ringing the shop and seeking advice everywhere turns out could be getting ready for molt. Poor thing, hope it hasn't been put through too much! :(

You've helped a lot. @LC72uk

TaTaTula5

Oh, well thankyou @Arachnoclown for taking the time to stop by :)
I've had a few opinions now that it may well be a cobalt, but most likely male not the female they sold me.:cool: I Just want to ensure I give the appropriate care, so thank you guys for helping us out, and if anyone thinks I need to know something any advice is much appreciated :D :T:

KezyGLA

3 Year Member
Hi and welcome.

Could you please post better photos of your T if possible?

It looks to be Haplopelma lividum (cobalt blue) to me. There are differences on appearance depending on locality.

Now, on to the main issue...

It takes adult Asian fossorial species a long time to adjust to their new environments. This may take weeks up to months. So I wouldnt worry too much if you have only just got it.

As for the enclosure, it looks fine to me. More than suitable.

TaTaTula5

Hello! Cheers!

Oooh.. I will try! I think my partner took some photos Too, I'll get them on tomorrow..hopefully they're okay, still currently hunched in the same corner :( but I'm so relieved with your advice, that has reassured me a lot, I will keep a close eye but try not to fret as much! and that's interesting, about the locality, I'm happy I know that!
Ahh (sigh) Thankyou so much :D

TaTaTula5

Ohhh, @KezyGLA so tomorrow turned into Friday! My life is bloody groundhog day! Here's the only other photos I have so far, and they aren't even better! Haha sorry *face in palm* after more extensive research and info from you guys I'm going with he's a male.
I wasn't sure to or not but I offered him a gutloaded giant mealworm/morio worm and he took it! My first feed and I was glued! Did feed two but the other one wormed off somewhere... maybe he will get it. However he is thin... I know to not overfeed or to offer too much but I think a week away he will be a shadow of his former self so can I offer another item a couple of days later... or do you recommend me waiting a week? I'm sure you experts get fed up of novices asking silly questions, I've just exhausted every care sheet online and I know they aren't the best at times so would prefer expertise advice.

And I'm starting to think he is a happy cobalt blue at the moment as 6 days in.. he's webbed! Looks like he's made a 'burrow' on the edge of the tank.. so I'm one of the lucky ones! ;) so with everything as it stands... am I still doing Okay? Looking forward to hearing from you guys
Resized_20190112_225629_3703.jpeg
Resized_20190112_225646_9995.jpeg
20190118_111408.jpg

TaTaTula5

Oh... I knew there was something I forgot! Age.... they said he was female so I'm also doubting other things.... size is roughly 5inches leg span? They said around 4 years, am I right in thinking males live considerably less than females? I'm worried he hasn't got much longer to go, and I'm getting quite attached. :( my status should be 'annoying person'. :oops:

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Makes live a lot shorter lives than females. It varies from species to species but once they hit their ultimate molt into a mature male their time is numbered. Lifespan after their last molt can be anywhere between a few weeks to 2 years (maybe even longer)

Also I wouldn't worry about being "annoying". If you're unsure then ask. People on here actually like answering questions and testing their own knowledge. Sometimes a question comes up that they won't know or have ever thought about. It's healthy for everybody :)

TaTaTula5

Makes live a lot shorter lives than females. It varies from species to species but once they hit their ultimate molt into a mature male their time is numbered. Lifespan after their last molt can be anywhere between a few weeks to 2 years (maybe even longer)

Also I wouldn't worry about being "annoying". If you're unsure then ask. People on here actually like answering questions and testing their own knowledge. Sometimes a question comes up that they won't know or have ever thought about. It's healthy for everybody :)

Heyy @Rs50matt
Ahh dammit, that's what I thought oh I hope I get longer with him. Your first is always special! Haha I mean the shop didn't really mention much about him, piecing it up it sounds like they only acquired him a couple of weeks ago or so themselves! But considering he hasn't been that aggressive towards me at all.. maybe he is going into molt, I dunno ‍:confused: as I don't know him yet. What ya reckon?

And haha yes that is very true! Thankss!

Any sure signs it's the final molt at all?

Thankyou alao for replying:)

Last edited:

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I myself haven't been in the hobby that long (less than 1 year) and I've personally never had a mature male. I've got this off google and it shows what to look for if he is mature. The hooks aren't always present though from my understanding (hopefully someone can confirm this)

IMG_4224.PNG

Pet shops are in general a business and as soon as they get any animal in they are trying to get rid of it. I've never heard of anyone being told by a pet shop that they have a male as they aren't as long lived.

After a week or so when he's more settled in he might eat so I wouldn't personally consider premolt just yet.

Latest posts