• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Unhappy Aphonopelma Sp?

amy

3 Year Member
I don't think my tarantula is settling at all. I've had him for about two weeks now and he's moving around his tank a lot, climbing up the walls and i don't know if he's falling or jumping down, and he never goes in his hide. I heard that a tarantula that moves around a lot is an unhappy one. His eating habbits seem to be okay, but his enclosure is quite empty, and i don't think the heat matt is giving off enough warmth but i'm very new to this and i don't know if those reasons could be causing the problem. I might be overreacting, but I'm just worried incase he hurts himself.

Any advice? Thank you in advance

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
What's the humidity like? How about temps? What are the feeding patterns like?

CrypticSpider

3 Year Member
Hi Amy. :) First off, what Aphonopelma is it? How big is it? And until we get more details from you, stop using the heat mat. (unless your room is really cold) Most Aphonopelma come from dry arid regions, with periods of rain. Depth of substrate is important also, as they will want to burrow. What do you use for substrate? If it is too wet, that (among other things) will cause your tarantula to climb. If it is a mature male, this will also cause it to climb, because males wander around looking for females.

We'll be better able to help you and your tarantula, if you provide us with more details. ;)

Latest posts