• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Uneventful Re-Housing of P. ornata

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I moved my little one from a 4x4x7" AMAC into this 8x8x12" Nano Tall today.
IMG_7802.JPG

He went and hid behind the water bowl:
IMG_7804.JPG

The move was uneventful and the tarantula moved over easily and with no teleporting or freaking out. Nice and boring, just how I like it. I checked back later and he'd moved into the middle of the back wall after the lights went out.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
Congrats on an easy rehouse. It's funny how the ones that you expect to cause you problems are often the simplest.:)
So true. I was ready for an epic battle, and this one just moved over like a mild mannered Grammostola or something. Meanwhile my new B. auratum was bouncing around like a whirling dervish when I moved it into its new enclosure this weekend.

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I still wait for an eventful rehousing thread!
I want to hear one with the tarantula running riot around the house, the family and pets out on the lawn, the neighbours being evacuated, animal control called in........
.......ending with the keeper running up and down the street screaming with a tarantula hanging off his nose before being shot with a tranquiliser dart while the emergency services and local news crews look on!!!
But maybe that's just me! :)

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I want to hear one with the tarantula running riot around the house, the family and pets out on the lawn, the neighbours being evacuated, animal control called in........
.......ending with the keeper running up and down the street screaming with a tarantula hanging off his nose before being shot with a tranquiliser dart while the emergency services and local news crews look on!!!
That would be hilarious, but that just isn't how I do things. You'll have to get your entertainment elsewhere. :D

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
How can you tell it is male?

I have another one. I'll see if I can get a decent pic and post it.
It's really just a guess...if you have a ventral photo I can sex these guys pretty easy. This is the only species I trust in doing this. I sex molts with everything else, but I'm a ornata guy. The Males are prominently brown at this size...dimorphism hits early with P. ornata. That's why I say male...I've got lots of males too. The females are much prettier...:)

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
It's really just a guess...if you have a ventral photo I can sex these guys pretty easy. This is the only species I trust in doing this. I sex molts with everything else, but I'm a ornata guy. The Males are prominently brown at this size...dimorphism hits early with P. ornata. That's why I say male...I've got lots of males too. The females are much prettier...:)
Thank you for the education, and I'll get you a ventral pic ASAP! I knew none of this, and I've seen it in print nowhere, so really, thank you for sharing your experience.

spodermin

I'm taking my 6" P. Ornata I just got out and stripping and redoing its enclosure on wedenesday. It will be my first arboreal rehouse (besides slings) so I'm anticipating an absolute disaster. Stay tuned

Attachments

• IMG_20190423_070125.jpg
    IMG_20190423_070125.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 12

spodermin

Female for reference

Attachments

• IMG_20190421_212452.jpg
    IMG_20190421_212452.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 12
  • USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1555683348757.jpg_1555683359420.jpeg
    USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1555683348757.jpg_1555683359420.jpeg
    316 KB · Views: 11
  • USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1555683348757.jpg_1555683359420.jpeg
    USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1555683348757.jpg_1555683359420.jpeg
    316 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20190418_010326.jpg
    IMG_20190418_010326.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 14

Beowulf68

So a funny rehouse.. not about to post this by itself. My son who is learning the hobby like myself was helping rehouse an H. Maculata. Open the top and in .5 seconds up my left arm, under my shirt sleeve and in my armpit. Needless to say it was funny as heck watching my son try to capture said beast

Latest posts