• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Types of Live Plants

Richieha2012

Hey guys! I’m thinking about putting a couple live plants in my tarantula enclosures. What are the best kinds you guys have, and what tips can you all offer me? I haven’t decided for sure, but want to do some research first. Thank you all!

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Vriesea splendens, Neoregelia compacta, Aechmea orlandiana are some large plants that can handle the weight and are beautiful. But can you tell me the cage size?
Neoregelia compacta is covered with a sticky resin...really?
Vriesea splendens requires bright lights and alot of maintenance...it dies after blooming. It also is 2' tall...

Aechmea orlandiana is a 14" plant that has spiny leaves. Dies and re blooms around the perimeter.
None of these would be good inside a spiders enclosure.
Its ok not to try to help someone if you don't know the answer. Someone soon like @menavodi will answer with what he uses.

Konstantin

3 Year Member
The one I currently have is an A. Avicularia
Avicularia sp and live plants are not a good idea for a beginner.The moisture most plants will require in substrate will be overkill for Avic if enclosure ventilation is not optimal.
There are other tarantulas that tolerate moist substrate better to have a go with live plants
Regards Konstantin

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
We have 'pothos' plants in our enclosures including the avicularia species -
They do really well even with not much light and are very resilient plants that thrive with little water too :)
Wandering jew is another good plant to use in tarantula enclosures but can spread and need trimming back regularly

caretaker

3 Year Member
I'm no expert here and maybe someone with more experience can comment
this is a question I've been pondering as well.
I was thinking any of the small Tillandsian or so called "air plants" would be good for this. I also place a "pothos" cutting in a small enloseure to see how it would do .(no Sling there yet).

Coradams

I have small live plants in my A seemanni and my B hamorii tanks. I plant them next to the water dish so when I overflow the dish, the plants are watered as well. I am sorry, I don't know what kind of plants they are. They were from a local hardware store.
If you do use live plants from a store or nursery, be sure to rinse all the dirt from the roots before adding to the enclosure to minimize exposure to pesticides and fertilizer in the soil.
Fun footnote: After months and months of ignoring it, the seemanni decided to abandon his digging project at the back of his enclosure and dig straight down the stem of its plant to the roots. So there is that.
As far as adding a plant to an Avic enclosure I would be concerned that not only would it increase humidity, but also would the plant survive if the t covered it with webs,

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Avics web so much when they get going that it will be impossible to manage a live plant unless the enclosure is quite large and the T is at the top, almost exclusive of the plant.

You will needs a custodian species in there to manage the soil/detrius matter like springtails, and rather deep substrate with a base of clay pebbles.

Pothos, pennywort and pilea are low to medium light house plants that could work, but I give the T done solid structure in addition, diagonal cork bark is a safe bet, or even a small, long cork round.

It may end up being more trouble than it's worth but post it if you do it!

Wolfclans

Hey guys! I’m thinking about putting a couple live plants in my tarantula enclosures. What are the best kinds you guys have, and what tips can you all offer me? I haven’t decided for sure, but want to do some research first. Thank you all!
Look up where your T is from and see what kind of trees and plants are there that's what I did

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I use plants for Avicularia for years. The spiders web around their retreat. Plants will grow well. If you have good ventilation, don’t be afraid of moisture. If the plants grow, the spider is fine. Here is what I use:
Epipremnum pinnatum, small ferns like Nephrolepis exaltata. Ficus pumila and also Peperomia caperata; Tradescantia. Cut them back as often as you need to. Have fun with the real deal! ;)

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
1611246822965.jpeg

Just one example of plants and webs...:)

Latest posts