• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Two-headed snake slithers into grandmother’s home

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/mutant-two-headed-snake-slithers-22799376

A family card game was dealt a hand nobody expected when a two-headed snake slithered in and surprised the players.

Jeannie Wilson was at home with her family in Alexander County, North Carolina, when she realised that the joker wasn’t the only wild card in the room.

“I found this rat snake in my sunroom after we had a card game with friends and family,” said the retiree.

“My son had opened the door to let some air in and I guess it came in then.

“Well I've never been a snake person, but when I saw him my heart broke.”

What she’d found was a rat snake with two heads – a mutation that affects just 0.001% of those born into the species, according to experts.

Jeannie, 63, instantly felt sorry for it.

Two-headed snakes face an uphill battle for survival, sometimes even struggling to move properly due to having two independent brains.

“I know nothing about snakes but I knew it was not poisonous,” said Jeannie.

“I said 'there's nobody gonna hurt you'. I wanted him to be somewhere safe and taken care of.”

Naming the creature Double Trouble, Jeannie took the creature to Catawba Science Center in Hickory, North Carolina.

“They said it's around four months old and in good health,” she recalled.

Now the creature is being looked after by a snake handler in Kernersville, North Carolina.

Two-headed creatures can occur when an embryo splits, as if to form twins, but it does not split completely.

It can also occur the other way around, with two separate embryos incompletely fusing to form a two-headed creature.

Few survive long enough to be born and fewer still live beyond that.

0_PAY-PNDOUBLETROUBLE06.jpg

Latest posts